A concise overview of things learned:
Technical Area: I learned how to code in R. Specifically, I now know how to create volcano plots and PCA plots. I also learned about how the ggplot library worked in R. Regarding the research paper, I learned about new types of visuals such as PPI networks and KEGG pathway maps.
Tools: I learned how to use Jupyter notebook for Python. I have only used Python in IDEs and it was my first time using a Python notebook. Also, I finished the R exercises in R studio which resulted in me learning more about how R studio works.
Soft Skills: I have frequently attended the meetings, which gave me experience in talking in both large and small groups of people. I’ve also become more comfortable with asking questions during technical webinars and group meetings. I have improved my communication with Slack, email, and the STEM Away website.
- I finished all the R exercises and the Python exercises.
- After reading the paper multiple times and going to the meetings, I understand the methods used to obtain the data included in the research paper.
- I initiated the messages between my group of four teammates.
List of meetings/trainings/social events attended: 6/1 Technical Training Webinar, 6/1 Team 4 First Official Meeting, 6/3 Technical Training Webinar, 6/5 R Training Webinar, 6/5 Team 4 Happy Hour, 6/8 Team 4 Meeting, 6/9 Python Training Session #2, 6/10 Logistical Webinar, 6/10 Techincal Training Webinar, 6/10 Welcome Session on Leadership and Program Management, 6/11 Office Hours with BI Leads, 6/11 Gene Team Meeting, 6/12 R Training Workshop, 6/12 Gene Team Happy Hour, 6/15 Gene Team Meeting
Goals For the Upcoming Week:
- Reread results and conclusion portion of the research paper and understand more about the significance of the results.
- Become more proficient in R and learn about how to further customize graphs to visualize data.
- Understand the database more and learn about the different ways to categorize the data.
- I attended and watched all the R and Python trainings. I also finished the exercises provided. Going to team meetings and talking about the solutions to these exercises helped me further understand the logic behind the solutions.
- I read and took notes on the research paper. At first, I was confused about how the data was obtained and I didn’t understand some of the figures provided. However, asking questions during office hours and team meetings definitely helped me have a clearer view of the data used in the research paper.