Things that have learnt (Week 3):
R: a week with slight intense coding and I’ve learnt a lot of new functions within the Bioconductor package, specifically with how to generate a volcano plot and finding the top differential expression gene (DEG) from a bunch of data (module 4). I was working with @Roman_Ramirez on these tasks and we will showcase them to the group next week.
Rshiny: After the introduction to Rshiny from the previous week, I have learnt more about the CSS and HTML code structure as well as specialising in the app layout field in the Rshiny project. I tried to get my head around these codes by adjusting them/recreate some of the components from the website and get myself familiar with building a good layout. I was mainly browsing around bs4Dash to learn more about UI in Rshiny and html.
besides the coding part, I have tried to jot down key features of the popular websites and how they designed their UI so that it’s easy to use.
Github: We sorted out GitHub and tried to get ourselves more familiar with how to use GitHub via asking everyone to upload their codes on GitHub, as well as splitting into groups to work so that within each group, we could have some experiences for working on Github.
Bonding with teammates: We held several socials this week and try to get everyone familiar with each other. Although the grouping has been changed recently, these were good opportunities for us to get to know each other more.
Evaluation: @KellyZhang has created a questionnaire for interns to fill in recently. Through having those comments provided by interns, these comments were able to reflect on our recent performance so that we can adjust our leadership and improve ourselves.
keep track of work: I have summed up and made checklists/lists of things for interns to work on after Monday’s meeting, with providing any useful information for interns such as guidances/instructions or other related pdfs if necessary, which was also reflecting onto the comments that we received last week.
Achievement/highlights of the week
- Try to get everyone up to the progress
We tried to work in an agile fashion and move on quickly with the easy tasks in the first few weeks/modules so that our team will have more spare time working on the more difficult tasks in later on modules since the workload might accelerate steeply.
- Learning from a new field
Layout and UI are totally new to me and there is still a lot for me to learn from everyone since I was mainly working on sorting data and other functional properties in R, but not in Rshiny. I was trying to step out of my comfort zone which might be very beneficial for my future.