Ibrahim-S - Bioinformatics Pathway

Overview of things learned in the Technical area: This week I have been learning how to use basic differential gene expression analysis through R.
Tools: RStudio, Stem-Away
Soft Skills: I have been getting in touch with my team lead and my teammates through slack and the Stem-Away website.
Three achievement highlights: Even though I started this internship two weeks behind I feel like I was able to mostly catch up.
I have completed most of the R trainings.
I have attended all of the team meetings.
list of meetings attended: Asana training, technical training, office hours, Bioinformagic team meeting and happy hour.
My goal for next week: I would like to get to know my other teammates and continue learning R.

6/23
A concise overview of things learned:
Technical area: I have learned how to understand microarray data. I have also learned how to analyze different graphs and plots.
Tools: R and R studio
Softskills: I have been in reaching out to my teammates if I had any questions regarding the deliverables and I also attended happy hour, which is a great way to connect with teammates.
Three achievement highlights: I have learned more about R.
I have also been learning python.
I had a few meetings with my teammates and got to know them better.
List of meetings attended: Bioinformagic team meeting, office hours, fireside chats, webinar to introduce students for bioinformatics, R training, Bioinformagic team meeting, and happy hour.
Goals for the upcoming week: I would like to make a linkedIn profile and create ten new connections.

1 Like

6/30
I learned how to use differential gene expression by using annotation, filtering with the limma package.
Tools: Rstudio, Asana, Stem-Away website, and Slack.
Softskills: My team and I coordinated how we were going to present our deliverables to the group through Zoom and Slack.
Three achievement highlights:
My team and I worked together and finished week four deliverables.
I attended almost all of the meetings.
I made 5 more connections.
List of meetings attended: Bioinformagic team meeting, fireside chats, Github webinar, office hours, Bioinformagic team meeting, and happy hour.
Goals for the upcoming week: I would like to further my knowledge in R and make more connections.
Detailed statement of tasks done: I finished the week three and four deliverables with team Slytherin. For the week four tasks, I had to work with the normalized data. I also used the limma analysis and created a volcano plot from that data.

7/7
Concise overview of things learned:
Through the week five deliverables I have been learning Gene Ontology.
Tools: R studio, Github, Asana, Stem-Away website.
Soft Skills: I am making sure that whenever I don’t understand a concept that I reach out to my teammates or my team lead.
Three achievement highlights: I understood the week 5 deliverables, I also went back and corrected some of the errors in my week 4 code.
I have been actively using asana and attending all of the team meetings.
I am also staying connected with my teammates.
List of meetings attended: Bioinformagic team meeting, office hours, R office hours, python training, bioinformagic team meeting, happy hour.
Goals for the upcoming week: Increase my number of connections, and I will try to attend all of our team meetings again.
A detailed statement of tasks done: I analyzed the phenotypic data. My team and I also presented our findings to the group. I also worked on the week 5 deliverables. I have been making sure that our team has been communicating through Slack or GroupMe.

7/14
I finished the week five deliverables with my team, and we presented what we had found, and any challenges that we had faced along the way.
Tools: R Studio, R, Github, Asana, Stem-Away website.
Soft Skills: I have continued to attend all of the meetings and whenever I can’t I make sure to let my team lead know that. I also have been meeting with my teammates to discuss the deliverables.
Three achievement highlights:
My team and I completed the week five deliverables.
I attended all of the meetings
My team and I met up frequently before the presentation, to ensure that we were prepared.
List of meetings attended: Bioinformagic team meeting, office hours, Bioinformagic team meeting, and R office hours.
Goals for the upcoming week: Make more connections, and try to participate more during our team meetings.
Detailed statement of tasks done: I completed the week five deliverables. We used GO analysis and enriched GO analysis for this. We presented the week five deliverables with another team but some of our results did not match theirs. Eventually, we were able to figure out that they were different because they had used a different package to analyze the data. We were also able to maintain great communication when coordinating with our team.

1 Like