My first self-assessment on 16.06.2020
Overview: from zero to something, especially it’s a real challenge when I’m in the group of leader - NLP is such a new world for me. However, I am proud of my team for overcoming all difficulties and find the roadmap for the project. So lucky am I to work with very nice friends.
1. Technical area
- Bond of ML in NLP, typically in text-classification
- Overall the project as follows
- What I achieved: web-scraping, preprocessing, and currently researching more BERT model.
- What difficulties: It took me much time to understand how text-classification works. I read lots of articles, joined webinars of StemAway, learned from free courses, and asked many friends (both the team members and other team leads). The key method helping me overcome the difficulty is asking as much as possible, tried to understand the big picture before going into details
- What I need to improve: coding skills. Regarding the plan, I will try other methods in pre-processing (especially TF-IDF) to make the dataset nicer and prepare well for the BERT section.
- Support the technical side: Python, Jupyter notebook, Anaconda, Spider, Git
- Support management side: G-suit, Zoom and platforms such as StemAway, Asana, Slack, Github
- What I achieved: I can use confidently most of the mentioned tools and explore lots of other cool features from those tools. For example, Mindmup app, Gsuit plus (from G-suit)
- What difficulties: not good at Asana (set priority and other features). I will take time to figure out it when I finish my week teamwork.
- My plan: learn torch and TensorFlow to prepare for BERT
- leadership is the center. It requires many other related skills: organization, communication, team-building, teamwork, problem-solving, and time-management. The most challenging things are how to understand the motivation and talents of team members and how to keep track and improve the teamwork.
- What I achieved: friendship (in the team and other teams, and other pathways). They shared a lot of tips and tricks as well as some relevant training sections or teambuilding activities.
- What difficulties: team-building and ice-breakers. The interaction level in the first two meetings was really low. Thanks to weekly post-meeting feedback and advice from Stephanie or other leads, we improve the teamwork in the 3rd meeting. I will work more with our leads to do more team-building activities to enhance communication and workflow.
- My plan: continue listening, watching, noting, asking and sharing
Three achievement highlights:
- Understand the roadmap
- Good collaboration with other team leads and members, learn how to share and break the tasks
- Learn and perform step-by-step the project with my team
- Weekly Monday team meetings, team lead meetings
- Weekly lead meetings (ML pathway)
- Weekly other pathway meetings (UX, FS leads)
- Webinars: ML, Asana, leadership, industry mentors for text-classification & Git, Python
- Some OH with Stephanie