Concise overview of things learned:
- Leadership: These past weeks, I have learned the importance and necessity of delegation. Admittedly, being able to delegate was something I always strived to improve but during this internship, I better understood that your team members will have different strengths than you, and for their betterment, learning, and skill advancement as well, delegation can help the project move forward and succeed to a higher degree. I am very proud of this acquired knowledge and hope to apply it to future projects.
- Soft Skills: I continue to learn how to apply creativity to leadership. With team members’ roles shifting and due to other circumstances, sub-teams need to be re-organized, which requires some creativity. Additionally, it definitely takes creativity to find ways to increase buy-in and engagement from team members to create and sustain a more interactive environment for the team as a whole.
- Technical Area: This past week, I further expanded my knowledge on ways to interpret different data sets and visualizations of plots, and how it relates back to bioinformatics. By having a good understanding of this, I was able to relay information back to my team concerning the deliverables. This past weekend, I also learned about different gene set enrichment tools and how they can be applied to our project.
Three achievement highlights:
- Created an open environment for my team, so they feel comfortable asking questions and sharing thoughts / concerns.
- Helped create an atmosphere where the team feels empowered and can improve their own soft skills, like communication through their weekly presentations, creativity through sub-team-organized happy hour, and teamwork by working together to submit deliverables.
- Helped organize educational webinars that advanced the learning of both BI teams.
List of meetings/trainings organized including social team events:
- Organized two weekly team meetings, and a team happy hour. Also helped organize office hours and technical webinars for both BI teams.
Goals for the upcoming week:
- Next week, I plan to go over the deliverables in more detail and the importance of each step, to better facilitate understanding of them.
- During our soft skills discussion, I will help discuss how to best build a resume, what facets to identify, and how to best distribute it (as per a request).
Detailed statement of tasks done:
- Organized, explained and assigned both Week 4 and Week 5 deliverables.
- Encouraged the use of Slack, Asana, and GitHub as tools for communication, project management, and collaboration, respectively.
- Helped some team members understand the roles and responsibilities of being a project lead and project manager, and encouraged their interest to take on these new roles for the next session.
- Communicated with my team through the STEM-Away channel, email, and meetings, to elucidate what to expect for the week, how to complete the deliverables, answer any question, and helped them deliver their weekly presentations, which were all great!