Over the course of Week 2, my ability to code with R greatly improved. Considering that I had never previously worked with R, I expected getting thrown straight into a bioinformatics pipeline reliant upon usage of R would be very difficult; and although I faced some syntax challenges at first, I believe I caught on relatively quickly by watching videos and using the help feature in R Studio.
- I gained a comprehensive understanding of the bioinformatics pipeline that we will be performing. While this may seem basic, I believe it is crucial to have a firm understanding of our goals ahead of time so that we can connect with the project more.
- I improved my programming knowledge by working with R and making sure to write out effective comments to help out my team members.
- I managed to produce a wide variety of graphs in R Studio when performing quality control and normalization. By taking the time to look at the graphs and truly understand them, I managed to improve by analytic skills as well.
I attended the overall group meeting where we engaged in team-building activities and introductions to our purpose in performing quality control and normalization techniques. Additionally, I joined some of the office hour meetings throughout the week to ask some questions.
I would like to collaborate with my team more because I believe that part of what I can take out of this internship is experience in working with a group on a programming project.
Tasks Completed and Challenges Faced:
This week I successfully completed quality control, normalization, and batch correction of the datasets. Nevertheless, I faced some errors throughout the coding process, specifically an error “cannot allocate vector of size ___”. After trying several different solutions, the one definitive one was to expand the memory limit with memory.limit(size = 100000).