1. Concise overview of things learned:
- Discourse & its code base
- Ruby on rails
- Stem-Away website
- Command Line Tool
- Active communication with colleague (other leads & mentors) and participants
- Be motivated to search for examples for self-learning
- Organize the workspace, set up good platforms for participants
2. Three achievement highlights
- Having a kick-off meeting with the team
- Set up communication channels, project management tools to actively communicate with participants
- Fixed the discourse installation issue with Keegan
3. Goals for the upcoming week.
- Further explore Ruby on Rails
- Further explore the Discourse code base
- Finish the emberjs and SCSS tutorials
- More communication with the team
4. Detailed statement of tasks done.
- Install Discourse & gain admin access. I was a participant last summer, so I didn’t have much trouble installing Discourse. However, I spent a lot of time creating an admin account. I searched online and asked others but did not succeed. In the end, set up a meeting with Keegan, who eventually found out that the plugin/theme component we wrote last summer had some problems and is preventing the admin account set up. Solution: redownload the entire code and remove previous plugins.
- Get familiar with Ruby and Ruby on rails. Went through the tutorial again for Ruby, and followed the tutorial for Rails to create a example project (not finished yet, planning to continue next week)
- Project Management: Meet with other leads to decide timeline of the team, prepare for the kick-off meeting, set up PM tools and collaboration channels for the team, and plan to have scrum meeting throughout weekdays for participants.