SELF-ASSESSMENT [FINAL]: Chaitra Sreenivasaiah
I joined STEM-Away’s online internship in June as an observer, with a strong background in medicine and biology, and almost no experience in R and data analysis. My aim was to develop a greater understanding of the growing field of Bioinformatics, through immersion and working on a hands-on project. Simultaneously, I also hoped to interact with many students from diverse backgrounds and draw inspiration from the experienced mentors.
My main take-aways:
- Strategies for dissecting salient aspects of a scientific paper, and the utility of figures in conveying the information.
- Beginner-level understanding of the BioConductor and related packages in R Studio, concepts of Differential Gene Expression and Gene Ontology, the stepwise pipelines available to perform pre-processing, Quality control, Normalization and analysis of both kinds of data.
- Improved my ability to code in R, and Python.
- Improved ease while working with platforms GSuite, STEM-Away, LinkedIn, Slack, Asana and GitHub.
- Actively participated in all Training sessions, Gene team meetings and group meetings. Tried to ask relevant questions, and contributed to group presentations.
- Began working on networking on the LinkedIn Platform.
- Learned the importance of formatting my Resume, making a good elevator pitch, maintaining positive body language, and cultivating cultural competence.
- Training sessions were extremely useful to get me up to speed with the background knowledge and skills needed for the various tasks.
- The work was well organized over many weeks, with periodic deliverables and reminders.
- Unfortunately due to the lockdown, many other responsibilities encroached on my time. This impacted my performance during this internship.
- Nevertheless, I am very thankful to everyone at STEM-Away, the organizers and leads who put together this online program, and thus facilitated me to gain valuable Bioinformatics experience during these troubled times.
- I hope to return in November as a Participant!