Aphang - Bioinformatics Pathway

• Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
    • Technical Area: I learned the basics of doing data visualization in R and applications of different R packages to visualize data; through this, I also learned about using data visualization tools such as ggplot2 to construct heat maps and volcano plots, which I thought was really interesting. I also learned how R is applied in bioinformatics/ gene expression analysis with DESeq2 and the basics of how this works.
    • Tools: using new R packages, specifically DESeq2 and ggplot2
    • Soft Skills: I learned about the importance of networking and connections; this inspired me to update my LinkedIn and connect with more people.
  • Three achievement highlights
    • successfully using the new R packages and following along with practice problems
    • fully understanding the research paper and researching background information + other things I didn’t understand
    • connecting with a few team members on LinkedIn
  • List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
    • I attended all the team meetings, including the Team 2 meeting from Week 1 and the Bioinformagic team meetings. I also either attended live or watched the recordings of all the Python and R trainings and attended the Asana training webinar from earlier today. I was unable to make the Happy Hour last Friday, but I hope to be able to join one in the future!
  • Goals for the upcoming week. Next self-assessment will be due on the following Tuesday 06/23
    • My goals for this coming week include: (1) being more organized about attending meetings and completing tasks, (2) learning more about how to use R and gene expression analysis, (3) getting to know my teammates better!
1 Like

6/23 Self Assessment:

• Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
    • Technical Area: This week, I got a better understanding of data visualization and using R to analyze genes through the practice questions.
    • Tools: R programming, R packages
    • Soft Skills: I reached out to my team and I also was able to connect with a lot of fellow interns on LinkedIn! I also learned more about the importance and role of diversity and acceptance a workplace environment.
    • completed the R practice problems for 6/19
    • successfully joined the Slack and Asana
    • made 10+ new LinkedIn connections!
    • I attended two team meetings and the Asana training webinar.
  • Goals for the upcoming week.
    • My goals for this coming week include: (1) continuing to learn more about R and it’s applications in bioinformatics, (2) communicate more frequently and effectively with my deliverable team, and (3) complete tasks more efficiently and go to the technical training webinars for help.
  • Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
    • completed steps 1-4 of the Week 3 Deliverables
    • completed the 3 practice problems for R training
    • joined Asana and Slack
2 Likes

6/30 Self-Assessment

• Technical Area: This week, I learned how to do gene annotation, filtering, and analysis using R. I also learned specifically how this is applied to differential gene expression analysis.
    • Tools: R programming, R packages (Bioconductor packages), Slack, Asana, Github
    • Soft Skills: Utilized LinkedIn to connect with other interns, as well as people interested in the same fields as I am.
    • learnt more about differential gene expression analysis
    • created a Github account
    • made more connections through LinkedIn using what we talked about during team meetings.
    • I attended the Bioinformatic team meeting yesterday and watched the training webinars, since I was unable to attend live. I also attended the Bioinformatics webinar from last Thursday.
  • Goals for the upcoming week.
    • My goals for this coming week include: gain a better understanding of differential gene analysis and R programming, go to office hours and the technical training meetings, and to communicate more effectively with my team.
  • Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
    • completed part of the Week 4 deliverables, including creating a volcano plot, data set annotation and limma analysis
1 Like