Welcome to ML Team 5

Hi Team 5,
this is Eren, the project lead for Team 5. I have been somewhat delayed with a formal introduction to you because I was still trying to workout the details before the official start of the session which will happen tomorrow morning. I am a data scientist working at a tech startup in Brooklyn, so morning to me maybe night to you. When I refer to a time if I don’t specify a time zone assume that it’s EST.

I am planning a zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST for us all to all meet and do a quick team building exercise. I am a big fan of face to face interactions so I want everyone in the team to join and I’ll leave the bulk of the project introduction to that session. However before we delve into the details tomorrow I suggest you take a look at Kunal’s introduction video here: Kunal’s Intro. The video is a great overview of not just our project but machine learning in general.

We will be working on an amazing project in NLP using BERT. I am super excited since I usually work with media assets or metadata and this will be a great experience for me to learn from. This ability to make this a ‘good learning experience’ is what I define to be my job. I have already graduated and led a couple of projects in the industry, so I could always teach you some of what I’ve learned. However more so than a teacher I want to be a facilitator. I think machine learning is easily self taught when the appropriate situation is created. If you have any questions regarding the project you can reach me at any time in the day using my mentorchains email: ernclb@mentorchains.com .

We will be working using Git and I’m setting up a repository for us here: Git Repo. The repo is public for now since I’m not sure if all of you got your mentor chains accounts yet, but once we start coding we’ll give you all participant access and turn the repo private. If any of this is just going over your head don’t fret we can go over python, github and all the different resources tomorrow. What I really require from you is confirmation that you can attend a zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST. If you have trouble using Zoom or the timing doesn’t work for you please respond promptly so that we can accommodate for everyone. As long as everyone is onboard with this plan I will send a link to a zoom meeting soon as a followup to this initial message.

See you soon,
Eren

Note: once you get your mentorchains emails sign up to the slack workspace and respond to this thread with your information so I can add you to the ML Team 5 slack channel.

1 Like

I can attend a zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST.

Hi everyone! Here’s a little bit about me:

Name: Shreya
Time Zone: PDT
Where you are from: Dublin, California
Designation in the team: Participant
School & year / Job Title: Incoming Junior at Dublin High School
Experience with Machine Learning: I haven’t yet worked with Machine Learning specifically, but I have prior experience with coding in Python.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: The ability to continue improving my technical skills, as well as learn from other people around the world.
Team Name Suggestion: Machine Submarines

Yes, I will be able to attend a Zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST.

Name: Dhruv
Time Zone: PST
Where you are from: San Diego, California
School & year/ Job Title: Rising High School Senior
Experience with Machine Learning: I don’t have much experience with ML, but I have some experience with Python and Java.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: I like that I am able to work with a diverse group of people and gain skills in ML.
Team Name Suggestion: Enigma

Yes, I will be able to attend the Zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST.

That was great Eren.

Hi everyone, I am Ishan, the Task Lead for team 5. It would be great if we can get to know each other a little bit. Please reply to this post with the following format:
Please reply to the post with the following:
Name: Ishan
Time Zone: EST
Where you are from: Brooklyn, New York
Designation in the team: Task Lead
School & year / Job Title: Masters Student at NYU
Experience with Machine Learning: Applied in past Internship and have used ML in academic projects.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: The opportunity to learn and work with people all around the world
Team Name Suggestion: ML Demons

11 am EST works for me. I hope this experience will be memorable for all of us.

Regards
Ishan

1 Like

Name : Badhri Narayanan
Time Zone : EST
Where you are from : Brooklyn, New York
Designation in the team : Participant
School & year / Job Title : MS in CS at NYU
Experience with Machine Learning : 2 years academic research experience with Neural Networks.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: Industrial setting and experience
Team Name Suggestion: J.A.R.V.I.S

I would be able to attend the zoom meeting at 11am EST tomorrow.

Hi everyone!

Name: Nadia Rahman
Time Zone: Central Time Zone
Designation in Team: Observer
College: University of Texas at Dallas- Graduate with Bachelors Degree in 2020
Experience with Machine Learning: Learn basics in Business Analytics Class
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: Being able to learn and use advanced technology.
Team Name Suggestion: ML5

So it seems like most people will be able to attend the meeting tomorrow at 11am. That’s great news. I love that Ishan requested a little blurb from you about yourself but don’t worry if you can’t fill that out. Hopefully we’ll get to do a similar introduction in person tomorrow anyways (If you haven’t figured out yet I’m a sucker for face to face interaction :grinning:).

I figured this might take longer than the 40 minute time cap on free zoom meetings so I’m setting up a google hangouts call instead. Here is the link for tomorrow: https://meet.google.com/wdw-pvef-stb?hs=122&authuser=9

See you guys soon,
Eren

Greetings!

I am Ricky, the Technical Lead of team 5. We will share a wonderful 5-week work with each other!
Name : Ricky
Time Zone : EST
Where you are from : Brooklyn, New York
Designation in the team : Technical Lead
School & year / Job Title : Masters student at NYU
Experience with Machine Learning : One course and used ML in academic projects.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: Great opportunity to gain experience and work with some talents.
Team Name Suggestion: J.A.R.V.I.S sounds good to me!

11 am EST works for me. I can’t wait to meet you guys!

Hey all.

Name: Kyle Pacheco
Where are you from: Los Angeles, California
**School & year / Job Title: ** Just graduated with an MS in Mathematics
Experience with Machine Learning: None. However, I have experience with Python, Java, C++, and Golang.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: The opportunity to get experience in Machine Learning.
Team Name Suggestion: I’m not creative with names so I’ll go with whatever.

11am EST works for me.

Name: Bhavish
Where you are from: New York, NY
School & year/ Job Title: Graduate Sudent at NYU
Experience with Machine Learning: I have experience with ML, Python, R
I have worked on NLP projects
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: I would like to work in a team and extend my skillset.
Team Name Suggestion: Team Turing

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the Zoom meeting tomorrow at 11am EST. Please let me know if you can accomodate me at another time.

Hello, I’m trying to join the meeting for today!

Hello I can make it to the zoom meeting today! Sorry for the last minute notice!

Is there a link for the zoom meeting?

Hello everyone,

Name: Mariam
Where you are from: Charlotte, North Carolina
Designation in the team: Observer
School & year / Job Title: Graduate Student/ IT Business Analyst
Experience with Machine Learning: This is my first time working with Machine Learning. I am also novice to Python programming and still learning as I go.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: STEM-Away provides a great opportunity for students to learn from students and professionals of different backgrounds and skillsets.
Team Name Suggestion: The Matrix

Name: Trisha
Where you are from: Dublin, California
Designation in the team: Observer
School & year / Job Title: Junior at Dublin High School
Experience with Machine Learning: I don’t have any experience with machine learning, but I do have experience with Python programming.
What do you like about STEM_AWAY: That we are given an opportunity to have an internship experience while being quarantined. I’m also excited that we will be working with machine learning because it has been something I’ve wanted to start learning for a while.
Team Name Suggestion: Data Elephant

Meeting you guys this morning was amazing. We got to do a lot of the fun stuff of talking and meeting, but now comes the technical part. We have to set up all these accounts and start using these tools I’m outlining below by this Wednesday. I don’t want a single soldier left behind. We all need our toolbox’s filled to the rim if we’re gonna build this house together.

:rofl:Alright I’ll stop with the trite analogies. All the fun stuff is below for your convenience: >>>>

Git

Get started with git. Our GitHub repo is here:

However I need to add you guys as collaborators. Therefore I ask that you all create a GitHub account with your mentorchains email as soon as possible. You can give me your account name during this weeks Wednesday report.

Google Calendar

Google Calendar link where you can find all the upcoming events:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/9?cid=bWVudG9yY2hhaW5zLmNvbV9vcDluOWRlNXEwN3BxNWh2NmhnM3VkOGkzZ0Bncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

(I recommend that you add this calendar to whatever calendar app you use because I expect everyone to attend these events wether I post a forum message reminding you or not)

Slack

To use the slack channels you have to first become a part of the slack workspace. You can do that by clicking on the link below:

We will use Slack for instant messaging and not for reporting. Deb and Steph have intelligently pointed out that keeping a public record of our project on the STEM-Away forum could be beneficial for everybody. So use Slack to get a hold of the leads, if you want to send direct message to a team member or for more colloquial discussions. Let’s keep the forum super concise with effective communication and semi-formal language. With too many submissions for simple questions the forum can get out of hand quite quickly. I want the forum to be a representation of our best work and the rest to be on slack.

Our public channel on slack:

https://stem-awayinc.slack.com/archives/C014FCSKWCE

Our private channel on slack (if you can’t see this private channel just wait until I find your slack account and give you access):

https://stem-awayinc.slack.com/archives/G0150PU95EV

Depending on wether we want to keep these conversations private or public we might end up abandoning one of the channels.

Asana

The Asana project is currently empty. Your deliverable for Wednesday is given below, and my deliverable for Wednesday will be to setup all the tasks on Asana. If all goes well we will start assigning tasks on Wednesday.

The project link to Asana is below:

https://app.asana.com/share/stemaway/ml-team-5-nlp/1129928701931303/819969c85b81181fee555c3b4e5f53c4

Deliverables

Firstly I want you to delve more into the project details. I know we had a high level overview today, but I want you to really grapple with the problem and start forming your own thoughts. I have built a structure for us and that will soon become evident on Asana but I still expect everyone to grapple with the problem individually. You can browse the different topics in the ML forums but a good place to start is Debaleena’s post here:

Every week we will be meeting on google hangouts on Friday. I also want us to write a report on the weeks work every Wednesday and Friday. I might give specific prompts as to what should be written for that days report. This week your specific prompt is given below. If however, I don’t send you a specific prompt you’re still asked to write a response that goes over the work you have done since your last report and your next steps and timeline for those deliverables.

I want the Wednesday submission to have 3 things:

1. What is your biggest concern with the project, where do you feel like you have no idea what we are doing.
  2. What is your strength for the project, where do you think you can lead the conversation
  3. Confirmation that you have started using all the tools. This is where you can tell me your GitHub account name.

I am still not sure wether we want to create a new topic for each report we write or wether we should keep them in the same chain. Expect a message from me detailing where you will be asked to provide these reports. If I don’t reach out to you regarding this issue just keep writing on to this topic.

(Expect a message from one of the leads soon with a link to the collab project environment. This isn’t super crucial right now as we are not running any code but it will be soon)

Best,
Eren

2 Likes

Hi, I’m receiving this error when I attempt to join the Asana. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi @Alicia_Weaver, a couple of other people are also experiencing trouble signing onto Asana. I’ll let the team know when we have a solution. In the meantime focus on the report you will be writing tomorrow and if we can’t solve the Asana problem by then you won’t be required to confirm that you’re on Asana. Most likely I have to send an email invitation to all of you to become a part of the Asana team, however I may not be able to do so without admin functionality.

For future reference, if you want to trouble shoot something or have a question it’s best if you reach me through slack so that we keep this chat for our work and you can reach me quicker.

1 Like