Welcome Team 2 ML Project Team

Hi,

I am Smitakshi (Smits) and I am the project lead for team 2. I recently graduated with a data science degree and live in Charlotte, NC. I am really excited to start this virtual internship with you all. Throughout this journey, we will learn a lot from each other. After the internship, we will be able to know different nuances of text analytics.

Text Analytics is an area that is of interest for me and for those who are interested to know more (apart from the awesome resources posted by Debaleena) can go through the free tutorials to get more knowledge about NLP.

Let’s get to know each other and have fun in the journey. I really liked Team 4’s introductions and want to use the same for our introductory post as well.

Name- Smitakshi Gupta (call me Smits)
Time zone - Eastern Standard time
College/School- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Major- Data Science and Business Analytics
Best place to reach me- Email or this platform
One thing you wish to get out of this internship - Hone my leadership skills and apply the learnings in future projects

1 Like

Hi friends,

[Headline: For security, please do not write down your private email/contact here]
Hope that you’re doing great. I reach to you a bit late but btw, big greetings to Team 2
A brief about our team (you can also see the updated team in Team 2)
@Smits_Gupta, me (Project Co-lead), @Xianbo_Gao (Tech lead) and @Carl (PM lead), we will help you through the project and hope our team works nicely onward.

Thanks a lot for your nice resource Smits. Now I’m following you
Name: Khanh Ho (or Khanh)
Time zone: Germany time GMT+2
College/School: Kiel University - graduate
Major: Quantitative Economics
Best place to reach me: Email, Slack (we will do it on the meeting)
Wish to get out of this internship: we will win the project (not fancy but practical and more importantly, everyone enjoys a collaborative working environment)
Additional questions
A fun fact about you: I really love dogs and cats, but I’m too lazy for taking care of them. So I use the chance to visit my friends instead, for hanging out with both big and small friends
Are you familiar with all program soft

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Which tech program/skills you need to support/learn:

How about you friends? Feel free to introduce yourselves as follows
@Dhrumil_Patel @afink @Harshavardhan @HikariDawn @myang30 @uzoman-22
I will update more friends in next post because the post limits the tags
Name:
Time zone:
College/School:
Major:
Best place to reach me:
Wish to get out of this internship:
A fun fact about you
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn:

For the weekly meetings, It’d be nice if you take as many time slots as you can
Scheduling weekly meeting
The link for the kick-off meeting will be updated asap in the post

Eager to meet all of you guys,
Khanh :wink:

2 Likes

Update for more friends
@Abdullah @Kevin_Yang @Akim_Borbuev @shahkushal97
@Saranoor @brandonc @alexc @Godbless_Chille @Rahooligan

Hello Team!

I am Dhrumil, I am a Master in Commerce graduate, recently I graduated with a data analytics graduate certificate in April 2020 and am located in London, ON Canada.

A little bit about me: I’ve worked with startups building machine learning models to help investors invest in the right ventures and building recommendation engines for news reading and posting. I’ve also briefly worked as a data science and analytics recruiter, recruiting data scientists for US clients.

This is a one of a kind platform and I would like to congratulate Debaleena and the whole team at Stem Away for this initiative! Looking forward to a great one month journey on this project and hoping to connect and network with all of you!

As @Smits_Gupta mentioned about Team 4’s introduction, here I go with mine:

Name: Dhrumil Patel
Time zone: Eastern Standard time (GMT-4)
College/School: Durham College
Major: Data Analytics for Business Decision Making
Best place to reach me: Email/Slack
One thing you wish to get out of this internship: To better my NLP/Text Analytics skills, working with a dynamic team virtually.
A fun fact about you: I love playing and watching football, I am also an ardent Gamer, FIFA, Assasin’s Creed, Football Manager, GTA, MK11, WWE are a few of the titles I usually enjoy playing. My next goal is to learn drums and tabla in my spare time.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: NLP all the way! NLP makes it so much easier to understand the nuances of Etymology with the help of Machine Learning.

Dhrumil :smiley:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Nice to meet all of you. I’ll proceed with my introduction.

Name: Carl Adam Ahlner
Time zone: Stockholm (GMT+2)
College/School: Stockholm School of Economics
Major: Business & Economics
One thing you wish to get out of this internship: To deepen my knowledge in ML.
A fun fact about you: I’m a vivid language learner. I’ve lived in 6 countries and can speak almost as many languages.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I want to hone my coding skills.

2 Likes

Welcome Dhrumil. And thank you!

2 Likes

Nice intro friends
@Dhrumil_Patel: Gamer friend, we will nail the NLP things, probably you can find others joining games with you here :laughing:
@Carl: Finally I found a friend in the same timezone :handshake: I bet you got lots of experience and nice memories both in 6 countries (love hearing more from you) and so talented for speaking many languages Carl.
One thing, please schedule your time and vote in my above post if you did not :blush:

Name: Brandon Chan
Time zone: Eastern Standard Time
College/School: University of Virginia
Major: Computer Engineering
Best place to reach me: Email or Slack
Wish to get out of this internship: Learn more about ML since I’ve always been interested in the topic, but was never formally taught it yet.
A fun fact about you: I like listening to various genres of music so if you have any song recommendations, I would love to give it a listen!
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I have coded in Python before, but I have never used it for Data Science and since I don’t know much about ML (neural networks, TensorFlow, NLP, etc.), much of this information is new to me.

1 Like

Name: Alex Chan
College/School: University of Virginia
Major: Computer Science
Best place to reach me: Email
Wish to get out of this internship: To gather basic/general knowledge on ML
A fun fact about you: I enjoy keeping up with the NFL (American Football) and NBA (National Basketball Association) and am always open to chatting about the two.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I want to expand as well as improve on my current coding abilities.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m so happy to join the team and looking forward to work with you! I’m a PhD candidate in Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Name: Min Yang
Time zone: Eastern Standard time
College/School: University of Rochester
Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
One thing you wish to get out of this internship: To learn how to use ML to solve a practical problem.
A fun fact about you: I’m a big fan of movies and rock music. Love French movies.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I want to improve my coding skills.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

It’s great to meet you all.Looking forward to learn new things and have an amazing time with you all!

Name: Harshavardhan
College/School: New York University
Major: Computer Engineering
Best place to reach me:
Wish to get out of this internship: To deepen my understanding on ML and its applications.
A fun fact about you: I like to play football and cricket in my free time.I love cooking as it helps me in taking my mind off the stress of everyday life.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I have modest experience in python and looking to level up my skills over the period of this internship.

1 Like

Welcome @brandonc @alexc @myang30 @Harshavardhan, look forward to seeing all of you
Please select your time slots in my above post (click on the blue line) if you did not
Still waiting for the rest of team 2, are you there friends?

Hello everyone!

I am excited to be a part of this team and looking forward to learn a lot from all of you throughout this virtual internship.
Name: Kushal
Best place to reach me:
Wish to get out of this internship: To have hands-on experience on ML and NLP projects. Also maintain great relationship with teammates along with producing tangible accomplishments as a team.
A fun fact about you: I love to sketch and paint. Lately I have new found interest in cooking :slight_smile:
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I have worked on data science projects as a part of the coursework but not NLP, so would want to learn that.

1 Like

Hello!

I am Xianbo and I am the technical lead for team 2, I am a Master student in Computer Science.

A little bit about me: I have done several projects in Data Science and Machine learning. Recently I’ve taken a part-time internship in NYU Game Innovation Lab, doing research in neural network.
Name: Xianbo Gao
Time zone: PDT (GMT -7)
Best place to reach me: Slack
One thing you wish to get out of this internship: To improve my technical skills and work with a team remotely
A fun fact about you: I love playing piano and drawing anime.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I’m familiar with Python and I’ve been focusing on Data Science and Machine Learning. Feel free to ask me if you have any technical questions.

1 Like

Hello!

Nice to meet you all. Here is my introduction.

Name: Godbless Chille
College/School: University of Rochester
Best place to reach me: Email or Slack.
One thing you wish to get out of this internship: To learn ML and to get to know you all better!
A fun fact about you: I love video games very much! I like to play FIFA, NBA 2K as well as Call of Duty.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I have coded in Java before and I know a bit of linear algebra but I do not know much about ML so I hope to learn in the process.

Quick question: Do we have a slack channel for our team?

1 Like

Hello,
I am happy to read everyone’s introduction. How exciting!

Name: Rahul Jain
College/School: University of Maryland, College Park
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Best place to reach me: email
Wish to get out of this internship: I want to have a solid background in Machine Learning so I can hopefully apply it to future research projects.
A fun fact about you: I love to perform improv with my university’s group, Erasable Inc.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I want to improve my debugging and logic skills.

1 Like

Hi Brandon,

Please share your stem-away id/email address so that we can add you to our Slack channel.

Hello Team,

My name is Akim, I am a PhD candidate in Electrical Engineering. So excited to meet you!

Name: Akim Borbuev
Major: Electrical Engineering
Best place to reach me: Email or Slack
Wish to get out of this internship: I would like to grow my AI/ML skill and experience and gain new ones.
A fun fact about you: I am a passionate DOTA 2 player. Hit me up if you are a fellow DOTA 2 player.
Which program/tech skills do you need to support/learn: I would love to learn deploying ML model in Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, etc. Also would like to learn NLP.

Hi friends, for the security, let’s meet today, we will activate your mentorchains accounts and sign all in the slack channel

Hey Team 2, For security & privacy reasons, we have removed a few replies with personal emails.You will all be set up with mentorchains emails tomorrow. And you can get started then.

We have also masked all emails shared in introductions. It was just a question about preferred mode of communication. We apologize for the confusion.