@ss.trans
@vaidehip
@sydneymcmahon
@Tahsin_Rakib_Himi
@Vilina
@Anand_Kumar
@Karina_Bhavsar
@Nivedha_J

Welcome to BioInformatics Team 1! I am very excited to get to know you all and look forward to working as a team. For initial introductions, please reply to this post with the following:

1. Name:
2. Where you are from:
3. Time zone:
4. School & year / Job Title:
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics:
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it:
7. A fun fact!! :smile:

8. Would you be interested in an informal chat for introductions before June 1st?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Wasn’t able to tag everyone in the first post!

@ashlesha.patil
@Aubrey_Winger
@Zaafira_Elham
@APB51
@Lillian
@Master37mind
@sarahmughal

Here are my answers! :slight_smile:

1. Name: Erin Gunduz
2. Where you are from: Switzerland!
3. Time zone: EST
4. School & year: Cornell University studying Biomedical Engineering, M.Eng student
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Working knowledge of both Python and R, and Bioinformatics.
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I joined Stem-Away because I thought it was a great opportunity to join a real-life project and develop my leadership skills. From this, I hope to expand my professional network and gain more project management experience!
7. A fun fact!! I auditioned to be a dancer in the Step Up 4 film. I was admitted as an extra but unfortunately they were filming in California while I was still finishing up my high-school in Switzerland, so I couldn’t go - but next time!

8. Would you be interested in an informal chat? Yes! (Please let me know if the polling function does not work – still new to this platform!)

1 Like

1. Name: Sydney McMahon
2. Where you are from: Virginia, USA
4. School & year / Job Title: University of Virginia studying Biomedical Engineering / Participant in this project
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Basic knowledge of Python (I normally work in MATLAB and I haven’t worked with R), not too much experience with Bioinformatics, but excited to learn!
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I also wanted to gain experience working on a real-life project and work on my coding skills as well as learn about a field that’s super relevant today. I hope to develop my programming skills and figure out if Bioinformatics is something I want to go into in my career.
7. A fun fact!! I’ve never broken a bone!

1 Like
  1. Name: Tahsin Rakib Himi (I prefer Himi)
  2. Where you are from: New York City
  4. School & year :University of Rochester, graduated this May
  5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Working knowledge of both Python and R and interested in learning more about bio-informatics
  6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I joined Stem-Away because I wanted to gain some experience in the field of bio-informatics.From this, I hope to expand on my skills of python and R
  7. A fun fact!: I love to dance to anything and everything Bollywood and cooking is my passion!!
  8. Would you be interested in an informal chat? Yes!
1 Like

1. Name: Alex Gonzalez
2. Where you are from: California, USA
3. Time zone: PST
4. School & Year/ Job Title : California State University, San Marcos; First year upcoming M.Sc Biological Sciences student starting in Fall 2020; Innovation Lab Assistant at Beyond Meat
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: I have basic experience with MATLAB. I don’t have too much experience with programming, but I’m eager to take the challenge.
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I joined Stem-Away because it’s a unique opportunity to expand my skills virtually. I hope to gain a fundamental understanding of Bioinformatics since I’ll be using it frequently during my Masters. In addition, I’d like to build solid professional relationships with all of you and expand my network!
7. A fun fact!! I suffer from alopecia universalis – I’m completely hairless for the most part – but I have the awesome opportunity to focus my research on alopecia during my Masters!

1 Like
  1. Anya Sikri
  2. California
  3. PST
  4. Junior at Lynbrook High School
  5. I have working knowledge of Python and R.
  6. I want to gain more knowledge into this field, and work with other motivated people.
  7. I am interested in marketing as well, and am social media marketer for a startup.
1 Like

1. Name: Karina Bhavsar
2. Where you are from: California
4. School & year / Job Title: Junior at Dublin High School
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: I have a basic knowledge of Python; I do not have much experience with programming, however, I am more than willing to put in the time and effort necessary to improve my skills. Since I have been in the Biomedical Academy, I have been exposed to bioinformatics, and I hope to develop a deeper understanding through this internship.
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I wanted to join STEM-Away in order to develop a deeper understanding of bioinformatics, and to get a chance to apply the skills and textbook information that I have accumulated to a real-world project.
7. A fun fact!! I enjoy swimming, and I was in a year-round competitive swim team for approximately eight years.

1 Like
  1. Name: Sarah Trans
  2. Where you are from: Virginia
  4. School & year / Job Title: University of Virginia / fourth year Biomedical engineering
  5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Basic knowledge of python (usually work in MATLAB), working knowledge of R, interested in learning more about bioinformatics
  6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I joined STEM- away to gain experience and skills in the field of bioinformatics. I hope to explore bioinformatics as a potential career path.
    *7. A fun fact!! : I was the only person that got pooped on by a bird out of 500 students during my senior class picture in high school
1 Like
  1. Name : Vaidehi Patel
  2. Where you are from : Maryland
  4. School & year/ Job Title : John hopkins University/ 2nd year graduate Student.
  5. Previous Experience with Python , R, or bioinformatics: I have basic knowledge of python, and basic knowledge of R programming. I have started taking some Coursera courses for building my skills sets. I am interested in learning R programming.
  6. Why you wanted to join STEM_Away and hope to get from it: I joined STEM- Away to gain some experience with R by working on real-life project.
  7. Fun Fact: I love hiking. I also loved to cook. I moved from Atlanta, Georgia to Maryland last year for my graduate studies.
1 Like

Nice to meet you guys! I am glad to have you all on my team and hope it will be a great learning experience for everyone! We have a very exciting project and I look forward to discussing it with you soon.

Regarding the informal meet-and-greet, does Friday (5/29) at 3:30 PM EST work for everyone?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

P.S.
@ss.trans and @sydneymcmahon - I am also a fellow HOO! I went to UVA for my undergrad as a BME major as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Name: Ashlesha Patil
  2. Where you are from: London
  3. Time zone: Currently BST
  4. School & year / Job Title: Undergraduate senior at King’s College London, studied abroad previous year at University of California, Berkeley. Biomedical Sciences
  5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Working knowledge in R, recently started learning python and would be great to learn more in bioinformatics.
  6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: Understand what bioinformatics actually is and involves and be able to integrate my knowledge in the biosciences with computer applications. Also, I wanted to be involved in a live project and understand the roles involved and what it entails.
  7. A fun fact!!: I absolutely love travelling, and just finished my year abroad in California!
1 Like

Here is the zoom link for tomorrow’s meeting:

Erin Gunduz is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: STEM Away BI Team 1 Intro Zoom Meeting
Time: May 29, 2020 03:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 922 6530 5518
Password: 691040
One tap mobile
+14702509358,92265305518# US (Atlanta)
+14703812552,92265305518# US (Atlanta)

Dial by your location
+1 470 250 9358 US (Atlanta)
+1 470 381 2552 US (Atlanta)
+1 646 518 9805 US (New York)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 651 372 8299 US (St. Paul)
+1 786 635 1003 US (Miami)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 971 247 1195 US (Portland)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 602 753 0140 US (Phoenix)
+1 669 219 2599 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 720 928 9299 US (Denver)
Find your local number: https://cornell.zoom.us/u/aeBSqXaHz

Join by SIP
92265305518@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)
115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)
213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
103.122.166.55 (Australia)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada)
207.226.132.110 (Japan)
Password: 691040

Join by Skype for Business

Hi everyone! My name is Isha Pasumarthi and I will be your Project Management Lead this summer. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

1. Name: Isha Pasumarthi
2. Where are you from: San Diego, CA
3. Time Zone: PST
4. School & year / Job Title Year: Incoming junior at Nova Southeastern University
5. Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge of bioinformatics and basic knowledge of R and Python.
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: To help out with project management and bioinformatics, but most importantly to make sure we all get to know each other and learn a lot!
7. A fun fact!! I have seen every single Marvel movie in theaters on opening day since 2014!
8. Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Yes

1 Like
  1. Name: Aubrey Winger
  2. Where you are from: Virginia
  4. School & year / Job Title: rising 3rd year Biomedical Engineering major at the University of Virginia
  5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Some experience with Python, but not in a bioinformatics context!
  6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: A knowledge of how bioinformatics is used in my field and experience using R.
  7. A fun fact!!: I play trombone!
1 Like

1. Name: Sarah Mughal
2. Where you are from: Bay Area, CA
4. School & year / Job Title: Rising Sophomore at the University of California, Riverside majoring in Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology.
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: Basic knowledge of Python and R. Experience using bioinformatics software such as BLAST and MUSCLE.
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: At college, I took a biology lab class called dynamic genome which heavily involved the use of bioinformatics to conduct research regarding division planes in plants. I really enjoyed the class and decided to join STEM-Away in hopes of learning more about bioinformatics!
7. A fun fact!!: I really enjoy photography!

1 Like

1. Name: Zhishan Ding
2. Where you are from: China
4. School & year / Job Title: NYU Tandon, Ms in Biotechnology, will graduate this December
5. Previous experiences with Python, R, or Bioinformatics: I have basic knowledge of Python
6. Why you wanted to join STEM-Away and what you hope to get from it: I joined Stem-Away because I would like to gain some working experience in bioinfomatics. I also hope to improve skills in programming and teamwork.
7. A fun fact!!: Before learning Python I was a wet-lab guy. I spent four years in a lab studying structural biology.

1 Like