Welcome ML Team 6

Hello Team 6,

Meeting Link: https://meet.google.com/dsu-zamx-zsd

I am delighted to welcome all of you to the Stem-Away internship. Over the course of the next 5 weeks, you can expect to gain hands-on experience in Machine Learning and more specifically Natural Language Processing. The program has been perfectly tailored for your learning experience we are over here so that you can make the best of this incredible opportunity. I am Anubhav and I am going to be your project lead for the summer.

Last night I received a message asking why team 6 hasn’t had any introductions so far. The answer to that question is that I have a special team-building exercise planned out for the first meeting which will be held on 1st of June. I didn’t want to spoil the fun by getting to know all of you before that.

However, I would need to know what time suits you best before we can get started. So it would be great if all of you could mention your name along with your time-zone and maybe just a brief introduction about your past experience with ML & NLP in the comments below. Please also indicate which time-slot(s) you are comfortable with using this link.

We would soon have a slack channel set up to have informal conversations. I would also take this opportunity to introduce our talented technical lead @st3939 and task lead @vsrikar08.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

@mb6496 @aaratrika_chakravort @Laura_Mendomo_Mvomo @sgoswam2 @Arturo_Alvarado @Sanjai_Raj_Venkatara @Kathy

@Apoorva_rathore @varthini @ndanevski1 @Longfei @Austin_Stenstedt @azufar @huiwen.goh @Anisha

Please join the slack channel using this link.. We would be having most of the discussions on slack.

Hello team ! Name is Arturo Alvarado and my time zone is PDT. I’ve had some outside project experience in ML.

Name: Anisha Bhattacharya
Time Zone: EST
Previous experience with UX Design: I have used html before but majority of my experience is working on school projects with java.(like making a projectile based game and drawing a map of ny state which acts like google maps by showing the shortest path between any two intersections selected by the user) I am excited to get more experience
Goals of joining STEM-Away: This is an incredible opportunity for me to learn more as well as interact with people from all over the world.
One interesting fact about you: I can quote Shrek randomly because of the number of times I watched the movie when I was a kid
I wish I attended ed the first informal meeting but I am excited for tomorrow when I get to know everyone.

Hi! My name is Nikola Danevski and I come from my Macedonia.
I study computer science at the University of Rochester and this is where I am currently at, my time zone is EDT.
I have experience in in machine learning from both theoretical point of view and applied, specifically in data mining. I haven’t done much work in NLP.

Hi! My name is Hui Wen, I am from Malaysia but I’m living in New York right now. My timezone is EDT, I do not have much experience in ML except for some light readings/tutorials but I am very excited to learn more :slight_smile:

Hi all,
My name is Jemima and I currently live in New York (EST time zone). I’ve taken a course in ML and have some experience in NLP using Vader and Fasttext. I look forward to working with you all!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Austin Stenstedt. I am studying Mechanical Engineering at New York University. I am currently in the Eastern Time Zone, but next week I will be returning home to California and will be on PDT. I have coding experience through my courses and very light machine learning knowledge from a couple of webinars.

Looking forward to learning and working with you all.

Hello All,

I am Varthini currently living in Bloomington, Indiana - EST.
I have a little experience in ML and NLP and am looking forward to learning more through this project over the summer.

Thanks

Hello,
I am Soumya, studying at University of Rochester. I am currently living in NY and my time zone is EDT. I have some experience in ML with applications in medical imaging. I dont have much knowledge in NLP though.

Hello Team

My name is Saad Tariq and I am an Industrial Engineering student at NYU pursuing a masters degree! My undergraduate degree is in Physics with a side focus on Mathematics and Computer science from Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota. I will be the technical lead for this team 6 (we will give ourselves a cooler name soon) for the duration of this project and I cannot be more excited to work with such a diverse team from a variety of different backgrounds.

In the past I have had experiences leading technical teams for a variety of different engineering projects in undergraduate and graduate studies. I have some experience in data mining, cleansing and classification modelling, but like all of you, there is a lot I am looking forward to learn from this project as well. We will be using Python in the ‘visual studio code’ environment (as recommended by our mentor) to write scripts, ‘Github’ to share our work with each other as we make progress and using ‘google collab’ to access GPUs when required. If you have not used any of this before (neither had I), this project is the perfect opportunity to do some hands on learning and learn how to get acquainted to new environments super fast! We are working on a 5-week timeline where we will set goals and objectives to be achieved by the team on a weekly basis.

I look forward to communicating with you all tomorrow over video chat and getting to know everyone better! If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this thread or shoot an email at st3939@mentorchains.com.

Hello everyone! Thank you for your introductions. Looking at the responses, it would be best to have the meeting at 9:30 am PDT. I am looking forward to seeing all of you there! You would be able to join the meeting using this link.

Can do the basic big of words problem in NLP and have some basic idea on the different types of ML models.

Hi Anubhav, due to some technical issues I am unable to join this meeting. I have been trying for the last 15 mins. I have updated my time slot to the next slot. Hope it’s fine. Thanks.

Aaratrika

Hi Aaratrika!

The meeting is at 9:30 PDT. The doodle form was just to find the common slot and it wasn’t for individual slots. I hope to see you at 9:30 PDT. I will look into the issues with the link in the meanwhile. Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

Where can we find the recorded webinars and resources related to ML?

Hi @varthini, you can find all the Stem-Casts on this link: Summary of Machine Learning STEMCasts

Can someone send the meeting link for today?

Hi, Are we meeting today? I am trying to join using the link posted above, but its not working.