UX & UI-Module 1 (Part A & B)-Kavya

Module 1

Part A
Things I learned:

• I learned about the principles of good design (technical skills)
  • UX is about efficiency and aesthetic, however being easy to use is more important (soft skills/technical skills)
  • How to create empathy and stakeholder maps (technical skills)

Achievements:

• Learned how to categorize stakeholders of a company
  • Learned how to empathize with clients to figure out how they felt while using the product
  • Learned the difference between design and pure aesthetic and how design was more important (ex, legibility over appearance)

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video and looked at resources
  • Made a stakeholder map for the company Zoom: at first, I didn’t know what the different types of stakeholders were or how to categorize them, but after I did some research, I learned how to analyze what type of stakeholder (direct or indirect) each one was
  • Designed an empathy map for one specific stakeholder of Zoom – students : I wasn’t sure how to figure out the different categories but I used my own experiences as a student using Zoom to find problems with the interface

Part B

Things I Learned:

• How to create effective questions for various types of research (soft skills, technical skills)
  • What different types of research (focus groups vs contextual inquiries) are and what they are used for (technical skills, tools)
  • How to administer a focus group, how to act when doing the actual observations and get sufficient information (soft skills, technical skills)

Achievements:

• Figured out the difference between the different types of research (tools and )
  • Learned how to write unbiased questions
  • Designed research studies for groups of stakeholders

Tasks Completed

• Watched the video and looked at resources
  • Created 10 interview questions to find a problem faced by clients as well as a survey and observation for this group : it was hard to find questions that were not too specific but not too vague either, and I was able to alter the wording to prevent bias and create questions that would effectively isolate big issues with the interface
  • Observation group: I struggled to choose a group to study but decided that students are one of the largest user groups so I should study how they use and interact with Zoom.
  • Survey: I couldn’t figure out what types of questions to use, so I looked at some surveys on the internet to see some examples of question types

Module 2

Part A
Things I learned:

• How to use Miro to create affinity maps (tools, technical skills)
  • How to organize my research in a clear and effective manner (soft skills)
  • How to write sticky notes so that they are short enough to see but long enough to not be vague

Achievements:

• Created a Miro account
  • Created my first affinity map
  • Organized sticky notes into groups

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video and created a Miro account
  • Created answers for 10 interview questions: it was difficult to think of answers to some questions but I tried to think of my own experiences and struggles my teachers have had with Zoom
  • Created answers to my survey questions: I couldn’t think of 3 answers, so I gave the survey to some family members to get varied response
  • Created hypothetical experiences for my observation group: I struggled to come up with varied experiences but used my experiences with zoom to come up with some answers
  • Turned these answers into sticky notes: at first, it was tough to condense the information without making it vague, but I finally found a good length after trying many different versions
  • Organized sticky notes on an affinity map on Miro: it was tough working with Miro since this was my first time, but I watched some video tutorials and was able to figure out how to use it

Part B
Things I learned:

• What a persona is and what it is used for(technical skills)
  • How to create a persona on Miro(tools, technical skills)
  • How to include an ideal mix of generic and specific traits(technical skills)

Achievements:

• Created my first persona
  • Created a second persona
  • Learned the difference between generic and specific content

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video
  • Created a persona using the teacher stakeholder of zoom: at first, it was hard to find the right template but after looking through the options, I found out how to create a persona template on Miro
  • Created a persona using the businessperson stakeholder of zoom: it was hard to find some of the information because I do not know what goals/challenges/likes of a businessperson using Zoom for conference calls are but I used Google to find some samples to help guide me

Module 3

Part A
Things I learned:

• How to create “How might we statements” (technical skills)
  • Ideation and Evaluation Techniques - dot voting, matrix, dart board(technical skills, tools)
  • How to brainstorm solutions and narrow them down(technical skills, soft skills)

Achievements:

• Created my first “How might we” statements with solutions
  • Learned the different ideation techniques
  • Learned how to evaluate my solutions

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video
  • Created “how might we” statements for problems identified through my affinity map about Zoom: at the beginning, I found it hard to identify problems but after looking at my affinity maps and personas, I was able to figure out the main issues
  • Brainstormed some solutions to the problems from my affinity map: it was hard to think of solutions but I started writing down some wild and unlikely solution ideas which helped lead me to some better ones
  • Evaluated and clustered brainstorm post-its on Miro: it was hard to dot vote on my own but I asked family members to help chose their favorite solutions and that helped figure out which ones to consider, after that I had to do some research into my solution ideas to find something that was resource-effective as well as efficient to create the matrix

Part B
Things I learned:

• What is information architecture(technical skills)
  • Framework types: organizer/workspace, hierarchal, parallel workspace, sequential (technical skills, tools)
  • How to do the first step in wireframing - sketching (tools)

Achievements:

• Created my first information architecture diagram on Miro
  • Learned the difference between types of framework
  • Sketched a prototype

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video
  • Created an information architecture for Zoom: it was hard at first to find a format, but I was able to find some templates to help guide me, I created an organizer/workspace diagram to organize the various tools and features of zoom
  • Created a prototype for a new Zoom interface: it was difficult to find out where to start but I first sketched the original interface, so that I knew what to start with, and was able to change it to create a better user experience with less issues

Module 4

Part A

Things I learned:

• What is a prototype and what are the different types of prototype - low, mid, high (technical skills)
  • How to create a prototype with different levels of fidelity (technical)
  • How to use Balsamiq to make prototypes (tools)

Achievements:

• Created a Balsamiq account
  • Made my first prototype
  • Learned the difference between high, mid, and low fidelity prototypes

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video
  • Created Balsamiq account
  • Created several low fidelity prototypes for Zoom’s home page - it took some time to figure out how to use Balsamiq but I looked up some tutorials and used the video posted to figure out how to find certain components. I also used my sketch from last module to help plan out which components to place and where to place them.

Part B

Things I learned:

• How to perform usability testing in different wats (technical skills)
  • How to create a prototype on Figma(technical skills)
  • How to use Figma to make mid-fidelity prototypes (tools)

Achievements:

• Created a Figma account
  • Made my first mid-fidelity prototype on Figma
  • Did my first usability testing

Tasks Completed:

• Watched the video
  • Created Figma account
  • Created a mid-fidelity prototype for Zoom’s home page - the main difficulty I had was figuring out how to use the various features of Figma because there are a lot and I was very overwhelmed, but I watched the presentation a few more times and was able to figure out how to use Figma
  • performed usability testing with the virtual method - it was hard to find people to try it out because my family was very busy, so I asked some friends to help and we did a virtual prototype usability test
  • did a heuristic usability test - one difficulty was that I found it difficult to determine whether my prototype fit the qualities that it needed, but I used examples from online of good prototypes as well as comments from my virtual testing to figure out if it was a good prototype and if it fit the heuristic standards