UX & UI Module 1 Part A & B -- Divya

Part A

Things I Learned:
Technical Area:
-Good design is both aesthetic and usable, so it must be easy to use, but pleasing to look at
-Learned how to create stakeholder maps, and show who the system effects
-Learned how to isolate specific stakeholders to create empathy maps, which can help cater to specific
preferences of these stakeholders
Tools:
-Stakeholder and empathy map templates
-Dieter Ram’s 10 principles of good design
Soft Skills:
-Learned to cater to specific needs of stakeholders in order to maximize satisfaction
-Learned to empathize with specific people to find out what they need out of a system

3 Achievements:
-Learned how to identify good and bad design in every day objects (ex. doors/tables)
-Learned how to break down groups of people the interface affected, and categorize them in stakeholder maps
- Learned how to put myself in a stakeholder’s shoes in order to find out what they want in an interface

Tasks:
-Made a list of items that had good and bad designs. This was initially difficult to do, because I kept prioritizing aesthetic designs. But after watching the video, and going through some of the given examples, I was able to find objects that were nice to look at, but not very usable.
-Created a stakeholder map. At first, I struggled with separating groups of people (core, direct, and indirect), but I eventually wrote down how the interface affected each group of people, and it became easier to categorize them.
-Created an empathy map. At first, it was difficult to find specific things that a stakeholder would want, but then, I began to place myself in the stakeholder’s shoes, and it became easier to empathize with them and create a chart about what that stakeholder would want.

Part B

Things I learned:
Technical Area:

• Learned different types of surveys and their uses
  • Learned that questions can have bias unintentionally, and may push people to respond in a certain way
  • Learned when to use different types of questioning techniques
    Tools:
  • surveys
  • card sorting
    Soft Skills:
  • how to create good questions without introducing bias
  • how to get good responses and put them towards improving an interface

3 achievements:
- Learned how to make questions yielding accurate results by not introducing bias
- Learned the different types of card sorting, and when to use each.
- Learned to create questions for each type of survey.

Tasks:
- made 10 interview questions to ask Zoom users. It was difficult initially to come up with questions to ask that were specific, but not too specific. Eventually, I made sure I had no bias, or pushed someone to answer in a specific way, and this helped some up with good questions.
- observation activity-- I chose a group of people, and explained who, when, where, and why I shose that particular group. I was initially very confused and overwhelmed because I had no idea how to pick a group of people, so I watched a couple videos and read a couple articles, and learned how to accomplish this task.
- I picked a focus group-- I chose 6-7 people from my stakeholder map and made 5 questions to ask them. At first, I struggled a little with coming up with a set of questions that would be possible to ask 6-7 different groups of people, but I eventually learned to ask completely unbiased questions.

UX & UI Module 2 Part A & B - Divya

Part A
Things I learned:

Technical

• How to create an affinity map
  • How to keep data simplified but understandable
    Tools
  • Miro
  • Post its
    Soft Skills
  • How to organize data
  • How to communicate data accurately (sticky notes)

3 Achievements:

• Learned how to make brief sticky notes with accurate information
  • Learned how to create affinity maps
  • Learned how to categorize data into groups

Tasks:

• Used 10 survey questions from module 1 part B to make up answers and organize them into an affinity map. A challenge I faced was that some questions were redundant, and I had a hard time answering them. Thus, I had to change some of my wording and rewrite a couple questions. This helped me learn more about how to write a strong, informational survey question.
  • Used focus groups selected in module 1 part B, and made up answers to the 5 questions I asked them. I faced some of the same challenges as I did with the first task, but was eventually able to come up with good data.
  • Used the group of people selected in module 1 part B, and wrote a short observation about their experiences. It was difficult coming up with accurate observations, but I eventually used my experiences as a student. The observation group was students, so I could easily use my experiences.

Part B
Things I learned:

Technical

• How to create a persona
    Tools
  • How to use Miro to create personas
  • Persona template
    Soft Skills
  • How to organize data into a persona
  • How to empathize with a stakeholder in order to see what they want from a product

3 Achievements

• Learned how to research and create an accurate persona
  • Learned how to empathize with stakeholders in order to find patterns
  • Learned how to organize data into specific and generic information and combine them

Tasks

• Made my first persona. This was a little difficult at first, because I had very little information about each persona. Something that helped me was searching up real reviews to the website I was writing the persona about. This gave me inspiration for more data I wrote in my persona chart.
  • Made a second persona. This was a little easier because I learned from my mistakes with my first persona. My information was more accurate, and my ideas were more easily communicated.
  • Organized characteristics into generic and specific. This was initially difficult because I thought of everything into one large category of attributes. However, it became easier after thinking of generic information as physical characteristics, and specific information as what the stakeholder was thinking.

UX & UI Module 3 Part A & B - Divya

Part A

Things I learned:

Technical

• How to brainstorm
  • How to find good solutions from this data

Tools

• Post its, chart for dart boarding, impact feasibly matrix, dots/dot voting

Soft Skills

• How to ask good questions
  • How to organize data into good categories
  • We can’t fix every problem faced by stakeholders

3 Achievements:

• Learned how to make good “How Might We” statements
  • Learned how to use post its in order to brainstorm solutions to these statements
  • Learned how to cluster these solutions into categories, and use dot voting and impact feasibility matrices to find the best solutions.

Tasks

• Created 3 how might we statements using points noted on affinity maps. One problem I had was coming up with questions that were either too broad or too specific. However, I learned to use the skills I learned from creating survey questions, and was able to complete this task.
  • Brainstormed 4 solutions per how might we statement. This was easier, because we had used post it notes previously for affinity maps, and this was similar to it.
  • Clustered brainstorming post its together by solution. This was the most difficult part for me. I kept on grouping them together in groups that were either too broad or specific. At one point, I almost as many categories as post its. But I eventually learned how to come up with categories that were the right size in order to group the notes together.

Part B

Things I learned:

Technical

• Learned to to make a website structure that makes sense to users
  • Learned different types of frameworks-- ex. hierarchal, sequential
  • Learned how to make interface navigable

Tools

• Card Sorting
  • Wireframing

Soft Skills

• Learned to anticipate how users will flow

3 Achievements

• Learned how to apply information architecture in different scenarios
  • Learned sketching, the first step to wireframing
  • Learned the different patterns for frameworks.

Tasks

• Created an information architecture with Miro for Instagram. Signing up for Instagram was difficult, and I wanted to make a better sign up page, and initially, I thought up a hierarchal design for a tutorial, but that became very complex. Therefore, I changed it to a sequential architecture. I learned which structure was better, and this made the task easier.
  • Started sketching the prototype. This was difficult, because my work became very messy it was difficult to see what I was drawing, so I used more paper and made a larger sketch.

UX & UI Module 4 Part A & B - Divya

Part A

Things I learned:

Technical

• Learned to make prototypes (Low, medium, high fidelity)
  • Lorem Ipsum is used to show text

Tools

• Balsamiq

Soft Skills

• Learned to organize my ideas through a prototype

3 Achievements

• Learned how to use Balsamic to make low-mid fidelity prototypes
  • Learned what a low fidelity prototype was
  • Learned the difference between mid and high fidelity prototypes

Tasks

• Created some low fidelity prototypes. A challenge I faced was organizing my ideas in a way that made the interface simple, but usable. Initially, I had way too many ideas to put on the screen, because it looked very cluttered. Therefore, I condensed my ideas and prioritized what I felt were the most important features.

Part A

Things I learned:

Technical

• Learned to pick the best prototype
  • Learned to make mid fidelity prototypes

Tools

• Learned to use Figma to make prototypes

Soft Skills

• Learned how to organize things on a screen to make them easy to navigate for a user

3 Achievements

• Made my first mid fidelity prototype on Figma
  • Successfully tested my prototypes
  • Learned to do heuristic evaluation in order to see if my prototype is ideal

Tasks

• Made 2 mid fidelity prototypes for Instagram home screen. This was challenging at first because I had never used Figma before, and it was hard to find all the things I wanted to put on the prototype. But I eventually got used to it, and now know all the functions of Figma.
  • Performed 2 types of usability testing. The first one was A/B testing. I gave my sister both prototypes, and she found that she liked B better. The second one was Virtual Testing. I showed my friend a prototype through Zoom, and she gave me her feedback. I struggled with both testing initially, because my sister and friend both struggled to find the button to go back to the main page. But after I fixed this, they were able to navigate well.