@clairelevi
@Kristen_15
@vmax
@Bbwood6
@Yoga_K
@Ernest
@Shaun_Karakkattu
@przhang

Welcome to Team 4! To help us get to know each other, please reply to this with the following:

Name:
Where You’re From:
Year in School/Job Title:
Time Zone:
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics:
Goals of joining STEM-Away:
One interesting fact about you:
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N:

@Cesar_Samuel_Juarez
@kavyaalapaty
@wjung4
@shafaqat.rahman
@ChloeLi
@Anca
@prallapally
@aroge007

Too many people to mention in the first post, so I mentioned you here!

Name: Kristen Kelly
Where You’re From: New York
Year in School/Job Title: Just finished sophomore year of college!
Time Zone: Eastern
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge of bioinformatics and basic knowledge of R and Python
Goals of joining STEM-Away: My goal for joining STEM-Away was to enhance my knowledge of bioinformatics. Also, I think I will enjoy working with a team of people who are also passionate about bioinformatics.
One interesting fact about you: I played soccer, basketball and lacrosse from first grade until the end of high school.
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Yes

Name: Kavya Alapaty
Where You’re From: Texas
Year in School/Job Title: Just finished my sophomore year at UT Austin
Time Zone: Central
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge of bioinformatics and intermediate knowledge of R and Python
Goals of joining STEM-Away: My goal for STEM-Away is to get more insight into bioinformatics and how to incorporate R programming into this field. I’m really excited to work with people of various backgrounds through this virtual opportunity.
One interesting fact about you: I started the Chloe Ting workout challenge four times this quarantine but I finally made it past day 5 this time.
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Yes

Name: Anca Gabriela Frasineanu
Where You’re From: Bucharest, Romania
Year in School/Job Title: Rising Junior at Univ of Rochester
Time Zone: Eastern for now, I might go home in early July (GMT+3)
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: No experience with R, but I took an Intro to Programming for Bio majors course last Fall so I have some experience with Phyton and Bioinformatics from that
Goals of joining STEM-Away: My goal is to learn more about how Phyton and R can be applied to problems in Biology, to see if I would be interested in a Bioinformatics career and to get some experience working in a team with people from various backgrounds completely virtual.
One interesting fact about you: I have literally just started cooking during this quarantine (like I actually never cooked anything before) and now I’m in love with baking!

Name: Yoga Kanneboina
Where You’re From: California
Year in School/Job Title: Just finished my junior year in high school
Time Zone: Pacific
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge of Python and basic knowledge of R and bioinformatics
Goals of joining STEM-Away: I want to learn about how Bioinformatics can be applied to our life and how to use it to help others in need. I am also interested in learning how to use R and Python for Bioinformatics.
One interesting fact about you: One of my hobbies is playing table tennis.

Thanks for posting! I realized I forgot to do it myself, so here it is:

Name: Isha Pasumarthi
Where You’re From: San Diego, CA
Year in School/Job Title: Incoming junior at Nova Southeastern University
Time Zone: PST
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge of bioinformatics and basic knowledge of R and Python.
Goals of joining STEM-Away: To help out with project management and bioinformatics, but most importantly to make sure we all get to know each other and learn a lot!
One interesting fact about you: I have seen every single Marvel movie in theaters on opening day since 2014!

Are you available on Friday 5/29 at 1:00 PST for our Kickoff Meeting?

• Yes
  • No, and I can suggest another time

0 voters

Name: Annie Anand
Where You’re From: Cupertino, CA
Year in School/Job Title: Rising Senior at UT Austin
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Python and R experience
Goals of joining STEM-Away: Learn more about bioinformatics technically and get more well-versed on the implications of sequencing!
One interesting fact about you: I love visiting coffee shops and reviewing them on my coffee instagram :slight_smile:
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Y

Name: Shafaqat Rahman
Where You’re From: Currently based in New York
Year in School/Job Title: Finishing my 2nd Year as a PhD student, University of Rochester
Time Zone: EST
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: I know a little bit of Python through a class on machine learning, but I consider myself a novice in the mentioned fields.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: To learn a new set of skills in a field I’m curious about but not an expert at
One interesting fact about you: I co-founded an urban dance team made of college alumni while I started my PhD
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other?: Yes, depending on the time of day

Name: Felipe Barraza
Where You’re From: Originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina- but have lived in northern Virginia since I was ~9
Year in School/Job Title: About to start my last year at the University of Virginia
Time Zone: EST
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Used Python in a class and liked it, haven’t used it in a while. No experience with R or bioinformatics
Goals of joining STEM-Away: Learn more about the field of bioinformatics and develop my R and Python skills more!
One interesting fact about you: Never broken a bone or got stung by a bee, and somehow being stung scares me more
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Y

Name: Ernest Wang
Where You’re From: Fremont, California
Year in School/Job Title: 11th grade
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Used R for a science fair project, learned Python awhile back (I’m probably pretty rusty), and learned bioinformatics briefly in AP Bio
Goals of joining STEM-Away: Refine my skills in coding and delve deeper into a subject that was not covered well in AP Biology.
One interesting fact about you: I swim on the school team.
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Y

Name: Elizabeth Wood (I go by Bess)
Where You’re From: Staunton, Virginia
Year in School/Job Title: I just finished my sophomore year of college!
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: I have an intermediate knowledge of bioinformatics, basic knowledge of Python, and not a lot of experience with R.
Goals of joining STEM-Away: I am really excited to work with a team of people from different backgrounds who are all different ages while enhancing my knowledge of bioinformatics.
One interesting fact about you: I have my black belt in karate.
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: Yes!

Name: Vivienne (you can call me V)
Where You’re From: New York City
Year in School/Job Title: Junior in College
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Intermediate knowledge in R basic knowledge of Python and no real prior experience with bioinformatics, though I did a Biomedical Engineering internship at Columbia a few years ago.
Goals of joining STEM-Away: Wanted to explore the different ways I could apply my data science skills (also exploring different post-grad opportunities that I can do with a Data Science degree )
One interesting fact about you: I LOVE travelling and have visited 15 countries so far
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: YES!!!

Name: Priscilla
Where You’re From: Bay Area, CA
Year in School/Job Title: About to start my last year of Uni.
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Fluent in Python, Intermediate R and Strong knowledge of Bioinformatics
Goals of joining STEM-Away: Advance my technical knowledge of Data Science, Contribute to meaningful projects and meet new people with similar interests!
One interesting fact about you: I love baking!
Are you up for an informal chat soon to get to know each other? Reply Y or N: YES! =)

Name: Pratyush Rallapally
Where You’re From: Dublin, CA
Year in School/Job Title: Rising Sophomore in HS
Time Zone: Pacific
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: little to no knowledge of R, basic knowlege of bioinformatics, intermediate knowledge of Python
Goals of joining STEM-Away: To refine my programming knowledge and am interested in learning how bioinformatics can be applied to daily life.
One interesting fact: I’ve been a huge basketball fan since I was 8

Name: Wendy Jung
Where You’re From: Chicago
Year in School/Job Title: Just finished sophomore year at the University of Rochester
Time Zone: Central
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: No previous experience with R or bioinformatics, really basic knowledge of Python from a while back but I’m probably really rusty
Goals of joining STEM-Away: To learn about bioinformatics and to develop my R and Python skills
One interesting fact about you: I love baking and have been trying so many new recipes!

Name: Sophia Rogers
Year in School/Job Title: 3rd year at UCR
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Some knowledge of bioinformatics, some knowledge of R
Goals of joining STEM-Away: To learn new concepts and ideas, to meet new people, have fun
One interesting fact about you: I go by my middle name, my first name is Anna

Name: Chloe Li
Where You’re From: From China but living in IL right now
Year in School/Job Title: Just finished Sophomore year of college
Time Zone: CST
Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: really basic R. Haven’t learned about python but I know MATLAB and Java so it should be quite easy to learn. Took an intro to bio course and have been interested in genetics since high school.
Goals of joining STEM-Away: To get to know the field of bioinformatics and gain some relevant skills.
One interesting fact: I love watching soccer although I don’t play it at all.

Name: Cesar Juarez

Year In School/Job Title: I graduated with a Bachelor’s in Biochemistry and minor in Math on May 2019. I am currently working in an immune-oncology company as a Research Technician.

Time Zone: Pacific (PST)

Previous Experiences with R, Python, or Bioinformatics: Beginners knowledge of R, None of Python, most of the biology side of Bioinformatics.

Goals of joining STEM-Away: My goal of joining STEM-Away is to learn more about what Bioinformatics is, and how we use it in the real world. I also wanted to learn more about R and Python and how they are used in Bioinformatics.

One Interesting fact about you: I love playing sports and going on hikes!