Problem with installing Discourse

Hi,

I am using: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I am following the beginner’s guide to install Discourse and I am stuck at this part:

bundle exec rake db:create
bundle exec rake db:migrate
RAILS_ENV=test bundle exec rake db:create db:migrate

I tried following the guide for installing Discourse for windows user by doing the following before executing the above instructions:

sudo service postgresql start
redis-server --daemonize yes

However, I get this error:

I’ve been looking at stackoverflow and trying different solutions for over half a day. I am confused on how to proceed. If anyone can provide some hints, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jia

hi @jiachengli1999, I’m trying to replicate your issue, I will address this in couple of hours.

Hi @jiachengli1999,

There are two things I would like to let you know is that error is due to these things:

1. Creation of user is done before you switch into cd discourse/
    Then try the remaining steps
  2. Ensure you install the bundle before you proceed for execution

source ~/.bashrc
bundle install

If you still face the issue, please let me know. Ensure that you follow sequence of installation correctly.

Hi @Sai_Likhith_K,

Thanks for the advice, but I was still not able to get pass that error. I followed the tutorial step-by-step and I got the same error. However, I was able to get it working by using a virtualBox with an Ubuntu-64 operating system.

@jiachengli1999, cool. As of now, use the virtual box. May be some dependencies are missed in the main system Ubuntu. We can address this in Webinar.