We decided to use Google Data Studio since we thought it would be easy to integrate with other components on Google Cloud. This did not turn out to be the case, we ran into several importing issues. After many tries, we got it working by querying specific fields from the PostgreSQL instance.
The Data Studio team and BLS team worked closely to handle the interaction between data generated and data presented. It was a bit of a chicken and egg problem to decide what visualization methods would look good and what data needs to be extracted from BLS. We made it work by understanding Data Studio requirements and then capturing and massaging the data in order to come up with visually appealing charts.