Missing Metadata Link for Bioinformatics Pathway?

Hi!

I’m new to STEM-Away and am trying to complete Module 1 of the Bioinformatics Pathway. Unfortunately, I need access to download the data necessary, and I was wondering what I could do if I don’t have access. Thank you so much for your help!

Sincerely,

Josephine

Hi Josephine, I am ccing @anya , STEM-Away Mentor for Bioinformatics.

You can also add a reply to the specific post in Pathway Hub to catch Anya’s attention.

Hi Josephine,

Welcome to the STEM-Away community!

Could you send a link to the post you are referring to? I’m having trouble finding it.

Thanks,

Anya

Hi Anya,

Thank you for your reply! I’m referring to a link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qzCGYe_uG2wgPoNRF0rIs3PyE7OpH64U/view?usp=sharing) that’s included on the Intro to R pdf for the R Data Visualization Module. After the link didn’t work, I went on to go through the other documents included in the R Basics post. I was also wondering how self-assessment and the completion of a module works. Is the completion of the modules an independent process where you feel as though you understand the material and move on to the next module? Or is there an actual assessment that must be completed? Thank you for your help and time!

Sincerely,

Josephine Johannes

Hi Josephine,

The PDFs were created by a different mentor during the summer session, so I don’t have access to change sharing privileges for the links in the PDFs (and the one you included). However, if you view the STEM-Away forum posts, like the one [here]R Data Visualization. Host: Yves Gaetan, Resident R Expert at STEM-Away), the PDFs that require data files will have a link to an accessible file in the post, not the PDF (the link will be preceded by the word ‘Data’). Try the links below and let me know if the files are inaccesible:

Data: DOT1L.csv

Data: new_metadata.csv

As for the self-assessments and completion status of a module - for right now, these are self-regulated. Self-assessments should be completed when you feel as though you understand the material in that module and (for Modules 2-4) have successfully completed all the steps listed under Instructions. (Modules 2-4 build off each other, whereas modules 1, 6, and 7 are more conceptual.) We are working to implement benchmarking for each module so there is a definitive"end-point assessment", but for now it’s an independent process.

I hope this answers your questions and please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with!

Anya

Good afternoon Anya,

Thank you so much for your help! I was able to download the files. Is there a post that I could refer to when clicking on module links? Since there was a summer session, would there be different modules for the most recent session? Thank you so much!

Best,

Josephine

Great! Glad to hear it!

I’m not sure what you mean by “a post to refer to when clicking on module links.”

There’s the Bioinformatics Pathway Hub (Bioinformatics - STEM-Away®). Here you can find posts for each module. There’s a list of relevant resources at the bottom of each post.

There’s also a Self-Learning Guide (Bioinformatics Pathway: Self-Learning Guide (Level 1)) with all the module posts linked in one place.

Did you have something else in mind?

The Pathway Hub modules are based off of last summer’s (2020) project. The project for the Summer 2021 sessions will be slightly different. Details on that project are still being refined.

Best,

Anya

Hi Anya,

The link for the Self-Learning Guide that you included was exactly what I was looking for! For acceptance into the STEM-Away program, I saw that the completion of 3 modules was sufficient to get accepted, would this be completion of the 3 Self-Learning Guide modules? I’m sorry for all these questions and thank you so much for all your help!

Sincerely,

Josephine

Hi Josephine,

Yes, completion of the 3 Self-Learning Guide modules would be sufficient, though I encourage you to try out the other modules if you have the time! And don’t worry about all the questions - it’s why I’m here!

Anya

2 Likes