- Project & Technical Lead Positions: Open to college students and junior professionals.
- Project Management Lead Positions: Open to all applicants.
Mentor Chains® Leads: Leadership, Mentoring, Team Building, Project Management, Delegation, Constructive Feedback, Compassion
Mentor Chains® Participants & Leads: Teamwork, Virtual Collaboration, Diverse Teams, Time Management, Lateral & Strategic Thinking, Presentation, Confidence
Note: External presentation opportunities are offered first to leads.
- Work with Technical and PM Leads to finalize all project decisions
- Work with Technical and PM Leads to monitor technical and people aspects. Make dynamic adjustments as needed.
- Communicate all project needs to STEM-Away team
- Plan & execute Team Showcasing
- Optionally collaborate with other Project Leads to create a stronger final product
- Contribute to brainstorming meetings with STEM-Away Domain & PM Experts
- Decide technical content of the project
- Create project timeline along with PM lead
- Assess technical expertise of team
- Decide team structure/ groups along with PM lead
- Monitor progress of project from technical point of view, make dynamic adjustments as needed
- Create videos/ hold webinars as needed to explain key technical aspects
- Contribute to brainstorming meetings with STEM-Away Domain Experts
- Decide collaboration framework
- Select PM methodology and tools
- Create project timeline along with technical lead
- Decide team structure/ groups along with technical lead
- Use PM best practices corresponding to the selected PM methodology to run the team of 8-15 students.
- Contribute to brainstorming meetings with STEM-Away Project Management Experts
Additional note based on FAQ: Student leads are strongly encouraged to participate in the projects themselves. It is a chance to work simultaneously on technical skills and leadership skills.
However, if students applying for Project Management Lead roles wish to focus more on leadership and PM skills, that is fine.
- Project Management Best Practices - Scrum - Trello. Host: Katie Elizabeth, STEM-Away® Head of Marketing
- Project management skills for effective teamwork. Includes a tour of Asana. Host: Paul Grobler, Productivity Consultant & Social Entrepreneur