July 20 - August 2
On the technical side, I learned how to scrape a website, which I had never done before. I had to learn the important things to highlight in scraping, how what fields to grab and what not to. I didn’t use too many tools this week, but I started on learning how to use Asana. I also was involved in researching StackExchange, and collaborated with a teammate on creating the report summarizing our findings.
Three achievement highlights
- Met up for the first meetings, and got settled into the teams
- Learned how to scrape a website, and prepared a report discussing how to do it for StackExchange
- Started learning and using Asana
List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
I attended all the meetings, twice a week.
Goals for the upcoming week.
I’d like to successfully scrape the website I’m assigned.
Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle.
I researched the viability of scraping StackExchange, and whether or not it would be worthwhile to train our model on the StackExchange data. This required connecting disparate parts from the Stem-Away forums to the StackExchange forums. There weren’t many hurdles to this, but one was the differences between the forums. I had to determine if these differences were possible to overcome through rethinking the problem, if they weren’t a big enough deal to matter, or if they were catastrophic enough to make StackExchange not worthwhile.