@xgeng
@kkang117
@AnnaP
@Ethanlau
@tanishk
@awprakas
@Sail19
@avocadole

I’m Anya and I’ll be your project lead for the July session.
Helping me out are Alec, as your project management lead, and Dhruti, as your technical lead.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to meeting you all!

Our first team meeting is scheduled for Monday and you'll receive a calendar invite sometime this weekend. We'll be talking about the deliverables, communication channels, and creating a team name. We'll also do some icebreakers to get to know each other.

Before then, feel free to introduce yourself to your teammates by responding to some or all of the prompts below.

Preferred Name:
Where you’re from:
Year in School/Job Title:
Time Zone:
Previous Experience with R:
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics:
Goals of Joining STEM-Away:
An Interesting Fact About You:

Pinging the other leads since you can only mention 10 people in a post:
@akingsley
@contractord

And two more team members:
@Aman_Burji
@sejalkini

Preferred Name: Anya
Where you’re from: central NY
Year in School/Job Title: graduated with a B.S. in Data Science (May 2020), currently looking for a full-time job
Time Zone: EDT
Previous Experience with R: ~2 years off and on focusing on visualization capabilities of ggplot2; also gained experience as a June participant in the BI pathway
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: ~1 year but from a satellite DNA perspective (ie. not dealing with genes and functional analysis like we will be in the following weeks); also gained experience as a June participant in the BI pathway
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I wanted to get more experience with working in bioinformatics, specifically from a gene analysis perspective. STEM-Away provided a unique opportunity that caters to that interest while also challenging me (and everyone involved) to work in an international, remote environment.
An Interesting Fact About You: The motion of a moving vehicle lulls me to sleep - which was kind of concerning when I was learning how to drive.

Preferred Name: Xuewen
Where you’re from: Shenzhen, China
Year in School/Job Title: Class of 2022 Evolutionary Biology and Philosophy major in University of Rochester
Time Zone: Beijing(GMT+8) (EDT+12hr)
Previous Experience with R: taken ~1 yr introductory R course and used it in graphs & charts making in lab.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: ~1 yr but mostly focus on Transposable element evolution and phylogenetic tree making.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: Become more familiar with useful bioinformatics tools like R. Gain more experience with working in a group remotely.
An Interesting Fact About You: Really Really love fruit tea and dim sum!

1 Like
  1. Name: Angelina Prakash
  2. Where you are from: Bay Area
  3. Time Zone: PST
  4. School and year/Job Title: UCSC 2023
  5. Previous experience in R, Python and Bioinformatics: I did session 1 of this path.
  6. Why you wanted to join Stem-Away and hope to get out of it: To learn more R and understand gene analysis.
  7. A fun fact about yourself!: I speak Tamil :slight_smile:
1 Like
  1. Name: Dhruti
  2. Where you are from: Canada
  3. Time Zone: EST
  4. School and year/Job Title: Business Data Analyst
  5. Previous experience in R, Python and Bioinformatics: Had worked on several data science projects during master and Data Science. I’m graduate in Bioinformatics
  6. Why you wanted to join Stem-Away and hope to get out of it: Its a wonderful opportunity for me to return to Bioinformatics and apply Data science skills to the domain
  7. A fun fact about yourself!:I am a national level gymnast
1 Like

Preferred Name: Aman
Where you’re from: Bay Area, CA
Year in School/Job Title: Incoming senior in UC Irvine for a B.S. in Biological Sciences
Time Zone: PST
Previous Experience with R: I have recently started working with R and Python, have some background in JAVA
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Participated in a bioinformatics hackathon
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: To get experience working on bioinformatics projects and expand the available skills I have.
An Interesting Fact About You: I ate Chipotle bowls for two months straight in college.

1 Like

Preferred Name: Anirudh
Where you’re from: Buffalo NY
Year in School/Job Title: Rising junior in high school
Previous Experience with R: Took an online course on R programming for Data Science.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Summer Internship last year on data mining on gene and protein banks.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: - Become more familiar with R programming and get a better understanding of Bioinformatics.
An Interesting Fact About You: - I can play two styles of violin

1 Like

Preferred Name: Kaylen
Where you’re from: Northern Virginia
Year in School/Job Title: Rising 4th year at UVA studying Biomedical Engineering
Previous Experience with R: Used it for research very minimally, but have taken a course on Python.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Not much previous experience with bioinformatics
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: To learn more about the field of bioinformatics and gain experience working on projects using R.
An Interesting Fact About You: I’ve fractured the same part of my foot twice while playing soccer.

1 Like

Preferred Name: Andrea
Where you’re from: Maryland
Year in School/Job Title: Rising junior at the University of Maryland in Chemical Engineering
Previous Experience with R: Studied some R online. Background in some other programming languages.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Very minimal
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: Learn more about R and bioinformatics in general and improve my ability to use software to analyze biological problems.
An Interesting Fact About You: I’m part of a student-run performing ballet company on campus.

1 Like

preferred name: Olivia
Where you’re from: Bay Area, CA
year in school: rising senior in high school
time zone: PDT
previous experience with R: no previous experience in bioinformatics
previous experience with bioinformatics: no previous experience with bioinformatics
goals of joining STEM-away: By the end of this bioinformatics internship, I hope to have gained enough experience in how to extract and interpret data from scholarly articles so that when I do my own data analysis on research papers I’ll be able to use best practices. In addition, I hope to become more versed in the coding language of R and understand how to use various interconnecting platforms for coding in general. I’m also excited to be engaging with a community of people want to explore and build their skills in bioinformatics!
another interesting fact about you: I can make my own clothing

1 Like

Preferred Name: Alec
Where you’re from: Upstate NY
Year in School/Job Title: Rising Sophomore majoring in Bio and Data Science
Previous Experience with R: Just experience from the June bioinformatics session
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Did a bioinformatics internship in high school working with String and PubMed and again the previous BI session.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: Gain more experience with bioinformatics and project management
An Interesting Fact About You: I broke my foot once running over it with a scooter

1 Like

Preferred Name: Eunah
Where you’re from: Seoul, Korea
Year in School/Job Title: Junior majoring Biology, interested in Neurobio/Pathology
Time Zone: Seoul(GMT+9)
Previous Experience with R: First time using R, and have introductory knowledge in python
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Minimal
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: First time using programming in bioscience, I’ve been used to do wet-lab works. Happy to be part of the bioinformatics path!! My goal is to learn how to use R and deal with wet-lab data efficiently. I have minimal experience in programming but will try to learn as fast as possible!
An Interesting Fact About You: Boba lover

1 Like

Preferred Name: Anna
Where you’re from: Southern California
Year in School/Job Title: Rising high school senior
Time Zone: PST
Previous Experience with R: No previous experience
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: I did a summer program where I worked in the lab and learned some basic bioinformatics, but other than that, no previous experience as well
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I don’t have much experience with bioinformatics, but I really just want to use this internship as an opportunity for me to learn as much as I can about bioinformatics, data analysis, programming in R, project development, and collaborating with others.
An Interesting Fact About You: I’m a competitive dancer

1 Like

Preferred Name: Sonnet Xu
Where you’re from: Michigan
Year in School/Job Title: Rising High School 10th
Time Zone: EST
Previous Experience with R: Taken R class before
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Done some gene mutation research
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: To learn more about bioinformatics and what it can do.
An Interesting Fact About You: My favorite restaurant is Shake Shack
[/quote]

1 Like