Joining Bioinformatics Group

Today, I heard about the Bioinformatics virtual internship program and I am super excited about this opportunity. I am interested in joining the Bioinformatic groups and I have already requested them. Additionally, I want to know when the deadline is to apply for the July 7th session.

1 Like

Hi @Trisha_N! Be sure to attend the information session on the 17 and put your application in ASAP. I believe teams will be put together around the 15th. However, the next session might be starting a few weeks later than July 6th, and more towards the end of July/beginning of August.

Submit your application here

Join the session here

I hope this helps!

Yes this helps. Can you also tell me the difference between a participant and observer, in education. Will they both be considered as interns? I went over the roles in the information section, however I am still a little but confused. Thank you so much!

Hi @Trisha_N

Observer
Typically someone that either didn’t have the time to commit weekly to the project, on average an observer makes a commitment of at least 10 hours a week though. They may not feel confident enough in their abilities just yet and want to follow/shadow the project. They usually have the option to jump in and start coding/ working with the team as their confidence picks up/ time frees up.

Participant
Someone that has roughly 20 hours a week, ideally more, to devote to a project. Your resume will reflect what you did, so the more you do, the more you get credit for. You have an understanding of the code used in the project and/or feel confident enough based on prior coding experience to be able to pick it up quickly enough. You are involved with the project, learning, and growing with it. Its an internship, and you are more involved.

Definitely challenge yourself though. The founder of STEM-Away believes that you should push yourself to learn new and challenging skills on the fly to be job-ready afterward. Let me know if you have any other questions. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am excited for this internship opportunity!

1 Like

Not a problem! I might be in the next Bioinformatics session too. I hope to see you there :smiley:

1 Like

@Melissa

I applied to the Bioinformatics internship a couple days ago and I was wondering what I would do next as I have looked at the webinar in the STEMcast already and I am waiting for any notification.

Thank you

Hi @pranhav16 That is wonderful :slight_smile: The forms are still open and they close noon tomorrow. So you will hear word soon after they have reviewed everyone’s applications.

Hello! If I am not mistaken, applications for summer virtual internship in bioinformatics group are now closed. Will there be new groups on bioinformatics this summer? When will applications for fall 2020 open?

1 Like

Those are very good questions! Yes, the new Summer sessions start next week, and some of the teams from June 1st will be expanding on their projects for an additional 3 weeks in July starting next week as well.

I am not sure about the Fall session at the moment. I believe if STEM-Away continues to get funding and industry expert assistance, there may be a Fall session. I would make sure to follow STEM-Away for any announcements, and for learning resources to prepare. :smiley: