@pranhav16
@Ena_Haseljic
@brasool
@Maria_Crisan
@Anurag_Dwivedi
@Yoga_K
@ChloeLi
@sarahmughal

Hi everyone, my name is Alicia, and I will be one of your project leads for this session. My co-lead Karina and our project management lead Saloni will be guiding you throughout the program and are excited to work with you. Our first team meeting will be on Monday (keep you eyes out for a Google invite). We will discuss this week’s deliverables and team communication channels as well as doing some icebreakers to get to know everyone on the team and coming up with a much cooler team name. Before we meet face-to-screen, I though it would be great for everyone to introduce themselves by responding to some or all of the following prompts:

Preferred Name:
Where you’re from:
Year in School/Job Title:
Time Zone:
Previous Experience with R:
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics:
Goals of Joining STEM-Away:
An Interesting Fact About You:

Tagging the rest of the team
@Cameron_Young
@Abhinav_Rajeshwar
@AMAKIRI_AUGUSTINE
@Karina_Bhavsar
@Saloni_Shah

Preferred Name: Alicia
Where you’re from: Northern IL
Year in School/Job Title: Rising sophmore in college
Time Zone: CDT
Previous Experience with R: Participant in the June session of the STEM-Away BI Pathway, focusing on differential analysis and data vizualization
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: In addition to the June session of BI, I also have wet lab experience susing differential gene expression to study the neurotoxicity of titanium nanoparticles
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I want to expand my base in coding and leadership, as well as to inspire others to get excited about bioinformatics, because it is such an awesome field!
An Interesting Fact About You: I run varsity cross country and track for my university.

Preferred Name: Karina Bhavsar
Where you’re from: California
Year in School/Job Title: Rising Senior at Dublin High School
Time zone: PST
Previous experiences with R: I was a lead support in the June session of the BI Pathway at STEM-Away, and I followed along with the participants’ deliverables.
Previous experiences with Bioinformatics: I am in the Biomedical Academy, so I was exposed to Bioinformatics before the June session, however, I only gained a deep understanding of the analysis portion of Bioinformatics in the June session.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I wanted to join STEM-Away in order to apply the skills and textbook information that I have accumulated to a real-world project. In this session, my goal is to develop my technical and leadership skills, and help others develop their knowledge, skills, and understanding of Bioinformatics.
An Interesting Fact About You: I enjoy swimming, and I was in a year-round competitive swim team for approximately eight years.

• Dan
  • Northern New Jersey
  • Rising Senior in High School
  • EST
  • I have taken several courses in Python and have worked with Python and R in several data science projects with biological applications. I additionally have wet lab experience.
  • I am excited to gain more exposure in the bioinformatics field and delve into genetic data analysis.
  • English is my second language.

Preferred Name: Vanshika
Where you’re from: New Delhi
Year in School/Job Title: Final year undergrad student (biochemistry)
Time Zone: IST
Previous Experience with R: I have previously worked with R for data wrangling & manipulation, regression analysis, visualization purposes.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: In addition to the basic coursework related to bioinformatics, I have worked on molecular docking and homology modelling as a part of my research project.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I’m inspired by Rafael Irizarry and his work in the field of computational biology. Being a part of this project will deepen my knowledge in terms of the applicability that “Bioconductor” has. I want to apply my statistical and coding knowledge to perform DGE analysis. Also, I’m looking forward to work with other team members, and acquire project management skills, as I have never worked with such a big team before.
An Interesting Fact About You: I prefer eating nachos and drinking tea in my free time. I’m an amateur photographer, who’s dying to travel to Cappadocia.

Preferred Name: Cameron
Where you’re from: Pennsylvania
Year in School/Job Title: Rising High School Senior
Time Zone: EST
Previous Experience with R: Not much previous experience with R apart from the training.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: I learned about Bioinformatics in my AP Biology class and did a few labs relating to Bioinformatics.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I want to not only gain experience in working in the Bioinformatics field, but I also want to simply learn more about Bioinformatics in general.
An Interesting Fact About You: I have played soccer since kindergarten and now play for my school’s varsity team.

Preferred Name: Burha

Where you’re from: New York

Year in School/Job Title: Sophomore

Previous Experience with R: I haven’t had much previous experience with R but I am excited to use this experience to both learn and apply R. I do have previous experience in other coding languages.

Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: I have used genomic analysis for my coursework, along with sequencing of the genes.

Goals of Joining STEM-Away: I wanted to join STEM-Away to get first-hand experience in Bioinformatics and to apply the skills that I learned about Bioinformatics.

An Interesting Fact About You: I love rock climbing and painting!

Preferred Name: Chloe
Where you’re from: IL
Year in School/Job Title: Rising junior
Time Zone: CDT
Previous Experience with R: I have been involved in the June session so I’m pretty familiar with the bioinformatics use of R.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: Everything covered in the June session and not beyond.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: To use my summer to look into what bioinformatics means and grasp the basics.
An Interesting Fact About You: I love skiing although I’ve only done that a few times. The most recent time I injured my knee really bad with my first time snowboarding, but I still love it.

Preferred Name: Ena
Where you’re from: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Year in School/Job Title: Rising junior
Previous Experience with R: I have taken course titled Data Analysis in R. It mostly focused on visualization, statistical analysis of biological data and a bit of coding.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: We have only briefly mentioned methods used by bioinformatics in several of my courses (like sequencing,molecular clock, alignments, etc,) In addition, for my final high school essay, I used bioinformatics to compare a gene between humans and chimpanzee.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away: My primary goals would be to further investigate analysis in RStudio, and learn about bioinformatics, as I believe it is one of the important steps in analyzing a lot of information that is discovered every day. I also want to become more independent and creative in research.
An Interesting Fact About You: When I was in high school, I used to drink three types of coffee every day (morning, afternoon, and evening coffee). Now, to avoid caffeine addiction, I take walks in three different routes every day.

Preferred Name: Maria
Where you’re from: Palo Alto, California
Year in School/Job Title: MD graduate working with kids with autism
Time Zone:PDT
Previous Experience with R: Courses and projects in Python not so much on R.
Previous Experience with Bioinformatics: In Med School I used to work with Genetic Centre and I was immersed in BI.
Goals of Joining STEM-Away:Have a better understanding on how to use R for BI.
An Interesting Fact About You:I’m from Romania and I’m in love with tech and startups in health, especially those on neuroscience.

When are we meeting today? Thanks!

Hello!

I hope this message finds you well!

We just made a meeting link for Team 3’s introductory meeting today, which you can find here, or on the G Suite Calendar.

Sorry for the late notice!

Sincerely,
Karina Bhavsar