1. Overview of what I learned
- Technical Skills
- I learned how to edit Discourse files in order to create my own themes, as well as how to make widgets and components.
- Discourse: I used my local machine to view my created themes, and I also used the Inspect tool to debug my code.
- GitHub: I regularly pushed by edited code to my personal branch. I also used the Discourse GitHub to access Discourse files for me to edit.
- Soft Skills
- I continued to improve on my ability to learn from sources of information like videos and websites (Discourse, Stack Overflow), and whenever I was stuck, I would look for the answer online.
2. Tasks completed
- Learned how Handlebars works and how to use it
- Practiced using Handlebars in JSFiddle
- Researched how to create basic themes, widgets, and components in Discourse
- Previewed theme changes on local machine
3. Challenges faced
- It took me a while to refresh my memory on how to run Git commands in my terminal. For example, I kept accidentally doing git push instead of git commit. However, after reviewing previous Full Stack videos and researching online, I was able to remember how to push my edited files to my branch. I also noted down my steps separately so I wouldn’t run into this issue again.