About EduSTEM Data Science
Welcome to EduSTEM Data Science! This course is designed for motivated middle school and high school students who are curious to learn about diverse contemporary challenges through the lens of data science.
This course is structured in modules. Each module is self-contained and will contain background, dataset and code.
Background: Background reading on a contemporary problem, from the opioid epidemic to regional food security to coastal flooding. In the spirit of STEMX, this will grant you the knowledge and connections necessary to apply your learning to the real-world. Encouraging you to tackle challenging problems from the onset will help you rapidly gain coding and data science skills.
Dataset: A large dataset which describes the contemporary problem of this module. These datasets are sourced from various publicly available databases or repositories.
Code: This R script will have various sections which will walk students through the techniques necessary to process and analyze the data.
In each module, all three components will be integrated into a step-by-step guide, which will introduce you to a certain aspect of data science.
To engage in course activities, all students must download R, a free programming language and environment for statistical computing, as well as the associated free integrated development environment, RStudio. To do so, please complete the following steps.
- Click here to be directed to the 0-Cloud CRAN mirror site of the R Project (www.r-project.org).
- Click on the appropriate download link for your platform (Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows) and follow the ensuing directions.
- Click here to be directed to the RStudio Desktop download page of the RStudio website.
- Click on the appropriate download link for your platform (Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows).
- Please download RStudio after downloading R.
With these courses, we demonstrate our mission to make high-quality STEMX education accessible for all. For questions or support, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EduSTEM Boston Chapter Founder