Self assessment for week 7/19 - 7/25
- Technical area: I reviewed the procedures to perform quality control, normalization and PCA plot on microarray data and looked into new functions such as simpleAffy and mas5. I also learned how to correct the batch effect among sample sets and make heatmaps using the pheatmap package.
- Tools: R, GEO database, Slack, Google Suite, STEM-Away forum.
- Soft skills: I actively reached out to and connected with team members on the STEM-Away forum as well as on Slack. I also made sure to promptly address the problems my peers are facing with my experience in the June session.
- Re-familiarized myself with essential initial steps in handling the data.
- Learned to perform batch effect correction and make nice-looking heatmaps.
- Connected with new team members and tried to help them out with coding problems.
List of training and meetings attended:
7/20 team meeting, 7/21 biology webinar, 7/23 group meeting, 7/26 group meeting.
Completed all the deliverables on my own.
Goals for the upcoming week:
Work as a task lead of the group and streamline the working process by properly assigning deliverables and helping out members.
Further connect with the team members and other participants.