Cpommersheim - Bioinformatics Pathway

Concise Overview of Things Learned: Week 3

• Technical Area: In the past week, I’ve improved with R especially from completing the R training assignments that I had missed as well as the Week 3 deliverables.

• Tools: In addition to R, I have also become more familiar with Asana and Slack which has helped with communication among my team.

• Soft Skills: I can see the development of my soft skills in the communication between myself and my team when planning meetings and assigning tasks.

Three Achievement Highlights

I have completed assignments in R that I was not previously able to, I have better managed my time through Asana and Slack, and I am attending more meetings.

List of Meetings and Training Attended

I’ve attended the recent Team Meetings and Happy Hour last Friday. Any other meetings that I am unable to attend, I follow up with recordings and notes.

Goals For The Upcoming Week
This week, I am to attend more meetings and catch up on ALL missed work as well as complete the Week 4 Deliverables early.

1 Like

Concise Overview of Things Learned: Week 4

• Technical Area: In the past week, I’ve become even more comfortable with R as well as interpreting results to be presented as deliverables.

• Tools: I have mostly been improving with R but I have also gotten very comfortable with Slack to communicate with my team. Additionally, I am now very familiar with Google Calendar which I had never used before.

• Soft Skills: My soft skills continue to improve as my confidence in communicating in group meetings increases as well as in communication with my team.

I have completed deliverables that I did not previously understand, I have stayed on top of my schedule, and I have tried to be prompt in responding to notifications.

I attended the Team Meetings and followed-up online with any others that I had missed.

This week, I am to attend more meetings and catch up on missed work as well as complete the Week 5 Deliverables early.

1 Like

Concise Overview of Things Learned: Week 5

• Technical Area: I’ve become more comfortable with analysis in R and understanding the pipeline as a whole.
  • Tools: I have settled into a routine with the platforms we use and feel more confident using all of them.
  • Soft Skills: My soft skills are still improving and I’ve used some of the presentations to enrich my LinkedIn profile.

I have completed deliverables that I did not previously understand, I have updated and improved my LinkedIn for networking purposes, and I better understand the entire pipeline.

I attended the Team Meetings and followed-up online with any others that I had missed.

This week, I aim to attend more meetings (still).

1 Like

Concise Overview of Things Learned: Week 6

• Technical Area: My technical skills have plateaued and I hope to improve them further during the individual deliverables!
  • Tools: I still feel comfortable using the tools provided from the program although I have been using Asana less.
  • Soft Skills: My soft skills are still improving in communication and networking.

I have been editing and improving my resume based on the soft skills presentations, become flexible in communication and collaboration, and improved my time management.

This week, I aim to complete the individual deliverables early to have extra time to prepare for the presentation.

1 Like

Final Self-Assessment

• Technical Area: I started this internship having never worked in R before or truly completed a data analysis project from start to finish but by the end, I felt completely comfortable working with the software and more informed.
  • Tools: Before STEM-Away, I had never used Slack, Asana, Google Calendar or, obviously, the main STEM-Away platform but I am now familiar with all of these programs and can easily navigate them or help someone in setting up their own account. Thankfully, I had Github previously so I did not need to create a new account there.
  • Soft Skills: I’ve always been pretty confident in my soft skills as far as effectively communicating and working with a group but this internship helped me tremendously with my public speaking as, even thought they was virtual, the weekly presentations allowed me to practice speaking in front of a group on technical subject matter.

My three biggest achievements throughout this internship were working on the code for the deliverables, as coding has always been my biggest area of academic insecurity, reconstructing my resume and LinkedIn based on the soft skill presentations, and improving my teamwork in a group from different backgrounds and skill levels.

See previous assessments.

I really loved this whole experience!! A huge thank you to everyone involved!!! <3