Week: starting week of internship (week of July 12) ~ week of Aug 2
Overview of Things Learned:
- learned user-research methods, conducted interviews
- learned how to interpret interview data & see trends/patterns
- learned how to create empathy maps, personas, and affinity diagrams
- learned how to use Mural
Tools: Mural (for maps/diagrams/work), Slack (for communication with the team & leads), STEM-Away (for announcements), Zoom (for interviews, separate group meetings)
Soft Skills: Communication, teamwork, leadership, adaptability
Achievement Highlights: 1) conducted 3 user interviews & compiled main points into transcripts, 2) created first empathy map/personas/affinity diagram, 3) learned how to get insights from the interviews & define or narrow down the problem
Meetings attended: 07/22, 07/23, 07/24, 07/30, 07/31, 08/04
Goals for the Upcoming Week:
- create 2 sets of low-fidelity prototypes of our solution, figure out pros/cons of each prototype & come up with a single design
- access Balsamiq/Figma and determine which tool to use
- interviewed users – at first, I wasn’t really sure which topic to focus on and how I should lead the interview in an unbiased way. However, with each interview, I got better at coming up with appropriate (follow-up) questions and got confident in how I conducted the interviews.
- created empathy map, personas, affinity diagram – I’ve never created an empathy map/personas/affinity diagram before, so it was a bit challenging to figure out what made a good map/diagram and what didn’t. The feedback from the leads and work from my team definitely made the process easier and helped me think outside of the box more.
- came up with HMW statement and solutions – it was hard narrowing down the problem/statement at first, but with help from the leads and my team members, we were able to come up with a statement and the appropriate solutions.
- created a rough sketch of our solutions – one of the hurdles was being able to come up with a sketch with components that were 1) aesthetically pleasing and 2) user-friendly. My group and I communicated our ideas a lot and were able to create a rough sketch in the end.