[ACTION REQUIRED] Welcome Team 8 ML Project Team - Introduce yourselves and Team Name!

Hello everyone!

My name is Charlene Leong and I will be your project lead for the next 5 weeks on this exciting virtual internship journey and learn about BERT together.

Let’s all try to get know one another before we kick off! Please reply to this post similar to the following information to introduce yourself. Please feel free to reach me personally on charlene_leong@mentorchains.com in the meantime or schedule a meeting here. You will all be assigned mentorchains emails soon, keep an eye out in the forum for the announcement!

@maleeha_imran @Daniel_Munoz @Richa_Singh @trangun @YutongWang @Geoffrey2k @ScottMcKinney @PhillipChau @piercepatrick @vishaal811

Name: Charlene Leong
Time Zone: NZST
Where you are from: New Zealand
Preferred Team Meeting Times: Please indicate your preferred meeting time in Doodle here and select at least 2! We will meet twice a week.
Designation in the team: Project Lead
School & year / Job Title: Cloud Engineering Consultant
Experience with Machine Learning: A few research projects
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Learning and working with and people from different backgrounds and all around the world!
One interesting fact about you: I really enjoy scuba diving ~ !
Team Name Suggestion: Bertinator
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes yes yes!

We will be using the following tools to collaborate throughout the project. Please take the time to familiarise yourself if possible.

• Mentorchains GSuite Email (username@mentor_chains.com) - Please take the time sign in and setup. All notifications will be sent to this email, so please setup forwarding if you think you’ll miss updates!
  • Slack for Team Comms. Please join the team8-mljune2020 channel once you’re signed in.
  • Google Drive for project file storage. I’ve put some pre-reading there already if you’re interested.
  • Google Colab for running our models (with free GPU, courtesy of Google).
  • Github for hosting our codebase.
  • Kanbanchi for project and task management (GSuite app, super easy to use).

Please feel free to reach to me if you have any further questions! We will run through these tools in more detail in the following week.

Cheers,
Charlene

1 Like

Hello, it could only let me tag max 10 users -

@yashodhan1400 @nishi @JeremyLiang0105 @McCarthy @shrayg @Madison_O_Brien_Jone @priya

Name: Pierce
Where you are from: US
Time Zone: CT
Schooling: Undergraduate Sophomore majoring in Data Science
Experience: One ML Course
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: It gives me a platform to learn a lot while also putting it into practice!
One interesting fact about you: I can solve a rubiks cube!
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Sure!

Name: Vishaal Ranjan
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Where you are from: India
Designation in the team: Participant
School & year / Job Title: NYU 1st Year Masters Student
Experience with Machine Learning: Taken a graduate level course on ML and done several projects as well
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Getting an opportunity to work on some interesting machine learning problems with people from all over the world!
One interesting fact about you: I like to play the Guitar!
Team Name Suggestion: Machine Learners
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yeah absolutely!

Name: McCarthy Nolan
Time Zone: MST
Where you are from: United States
Designation in the team: Observer
School & year / Job Title: University of Denver Senior
Experience with Machine Learning: A few classes in ML and some open-source work.
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Learning interesting things in a way that can be applied to real life.
One interesting fact about you: I love skiing and snowboarding!
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? I’m not sure if I’d be able to attend one.

Name: Yutong Wang
Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone (GMT-4)
Where you are from: Original in China and now in US
School & year / Job Title: Master student in U of Rochester
Experience with Machine Learning: A few research projects and ML courses.
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Meeting people from different backgrounds, learning with and helping each other.
One interesting fact about you: Skiing and Swimming!
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes!

Name: Scott McKinney
Time Zone: EST
Where you are from: New York City
School & year / Job Title: Rising Senior BS in Computer Science at University of Rochester
Experience with Machine Learning: ML Courses
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Opportunity to learn new things and meet/work with new people.
One interesting fact: I really enjoy kiteboarding and sailing
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes

Name: Richa Singh Madnawat
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Where you are from: Origin - India , Current Location - Canada
School & year / Job Title: University of Windsor 1st year Masters Student
Experience with Machine Learning: Ongoing courses on coursera and Udemy, One ongoing personal project
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Great opportunity to explore the machine learning field along with collaborating with people from varied backgrounds also helping each other in the whole journey
One interesting fact about you: I like Art and Craft like making home decor items from random materials!
Team Name Suggestion: Tech Folks (But I really liked Bertinator suggested by @Charlene_Leong )
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes!

1 Like

Name: Jeremy Liang
Where you are from: Maryland
School & year / Job Title: Rising senior in Electrical Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park
Experience with Machine Learning: School courses
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Opportunity to learn more about ML and get to know new people
One interesting fact: Former basketball player
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes

Name: Maleeha Imran
Time Zone: PST
Where are you from: California
Designation in the team: Task Lead
School & year / Job title: Rising senior in CS at UC Irvine
Experience with Machine Learning: Courses + projects
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: I think the org provides a great opportunity for people to gain experience in technical fields in a safe, educational environment. Additionally I think it provides a lot of opportunity for people to get technical/leadership/teamwork experience in a virtual environment so it can cater to all types of groups.
One interesting fact: I used to scrapbook/craft a lot when I was younger.
Team Name Suggestion: Bertinators sounds good to me
Are you up for an informal conference before June 1st to get to know each other? Sure

Name: Pratik Geoffrey Saxena
Time Zone: IST
School & year / Job Title: Undergrad at the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies
Experience with Machine Learning: A few projects, plenty of courses
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: I’m totally new to the platform, but I’m loving the diversity.
One interesting fact about you: I’m an avid Gamer.
Team Name Suggestion: Data Demistifiers
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Definetely

Name: Shray Grover
Where you are from: US
School & year / Job Title: Computer Science and Business @ UCR/ sophomore
Experience with Machine Learning: None, very interested. Read articles.
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Stem- Away has allowed a way for me to see inside an “internship or experience” without having too much experience.
One interesting fact about you: I enjoy music production.
Team Name Suggestion: “The ML8” because of our team number

Name : Daniel Munoz
Where you are from: Mexico
Time Zone : EST
Schooling: BS in Computer Science @ University of Rochester
Role: Tech Lead
Experience : A handful of ML courses, plus independent work
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Being able to connect to a lot of people in the field from all over the world.
One interesting fact about you: I can put my leg behind my head

Hey guys I tried to set up a meeting for us to informally meet before June 1st, but it’s been a little difficult to coordinate amongst the timezones. So I’ve set a meeting for June 2nd not June 1st to give everyone some time to register, please try and get yourselves on Slack asap as I know Stemaway’s forums are not so good at notifying new changes ~
3:00-4:15pm June 2nd EST/EDT
12:00-1:15pm June 2nd PST/PDT
1:00-2:15pm June 2nd MST/MDT
12:30-1:15am June 3rd IST (Sorry @Geoffrey2k )
7:00-8:15am June 3rd NZT

@Richa_Singh @trangun @YutongWang @Geoffrey2k @ScottMcKinney @PhillipChau, @piercepatrick @vishaal811 @yashodhan1400

I also updated the Doodle poll for regular team meetings here to include some more options as I didn’t realise that other people could not add options (sorry). Please fill out what times you can make as we’ll try find a team meeting that suits as many people as possible ~

Please let me know asap if you cannot make this meeting as it’ll be important for us to accomodate for everyone ~ !

The meeting password is 419785

1 Like

Name: Phillip Chau
Where you are from: California
School & year / Job Title: Undergraduate Sophomore at UPenn
Experience with Machine Learning: A few courses
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Opportunity to learn new things and work with a diverse set of people.
One interesting fact about you: I love biking!
Team Name Suggestion: Bertinator sounds cool.
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Sure!

Also observers @nishi @JeremyLiang0105 @McCarthy @shrayg @Madison_O_Brien_Jone please feel free to join the kick off meeting as well. It would be good to meet all of you ~ :slight_smile: !!

Name : Melissa (Aybar) Hargis
Where you are from: Austin, Texas
Time Zone : CST But I am flexible!
Schooling: BS in Computer Science @ Western Governors University
Role: Participant
Experience : I have mainly coded in Java, Javascript and SQL. I recently learned Python through W3schools, and egghead.io. I am currently enrolled in Data Camps Machine learning track (I am on the intermediate level) so I am familiar with Numpy and Matplotlib. So I am very new but very eager! :smiley:
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: I am looking forward to making connections with students from all around the world and working alongside them, to gain more insight into the world of Machine Learning and to take my skills to the next level!
One interesting fact about you: I am unnaturally good at paintball!
Team Name Suggestion: Bertinator sounds great. I am imagining Bert from Sesame Street with shades.
Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes, I am free later this evening!

1 Like

Name: Yashodhan Joshi

School & year / Job Title: Electrical Engineering Masters student at NYU

Experience with Machine Learning: A few projects using python (numpy, pandas and scikt learn libraries).

What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: To learn and observe different views people have for tackling the same problem.

One interesting fact about you: I love playing football! United all the way.

Team Name Suggestion: Bertinator sounds great.

Are you up for an informal conference before 1st June to get to know each other? Yes.

Name: Trang Nguyen
Where you are from: Vietnam
School & year / Job Title: MS student at U of Rochester
Experience with Machine Learning: A few research projects and ML course
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Can work with people from around the world and learn from them
One interesting fact about you: Hiking

Name: Priya
Time Zone: IST
Where are you from: India
Designation in the team: Task Lead
School & year / Job title: R Developer
Experience with Machine Learning: Few real time projects
What is one thing that you love most about STEM-Away: Great platform to interact & work with people around the globe.
One interesting fact: I love writing poetries.

1 Like