Austin_Yang1 - Bioinformatics (Level 2) Pathway

Overview:

Technical Area:

• Reviewing R, which had become a bit rusty over the school year
  • Explored new packages in R, which may potentially be useful when offering technical guidance
  • Reviewed my responsibilities as PM Lead and the specific apps and programs I will need to use, including GitHub, Google Calendar, When2Meet, and Google Meets
  • Familiarizing myself with the new structure of the website, which had changed since last year
  • Along with my responsibilities as PM lead, tasked with leading a subgroup in BI Group D
  • Learning about document hosting sites and what they specifically do
  • Designing an example site that will be the basis for my site for the final project itself

Tools:

• STEM-Away
  • RStudio
  • R
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Meets
  • When2Meet
  • GitHub
  • DropBox
  • Google Drive
  • Airtable

Soft Skills:

• Time Management - Responsibilities are much more than when I was an intern last year. Needed to manage time better so I was able to finish everything in a timely manner
  • Technical Ability - Though my responsibilities are more focused on the logistics of projects, relearning R would let me provide technical assistance if needed. I can help the technical leads if there any anything that they might find confusing as well
  • Communication/Character - In order to my position to work I need to be both communicative and approachable to everyone. Everyone needs to be able to feel comfortable talking to me so I needed to do whatever I needed to do that
  • Logistical Ability - Learned a lot of new “logistics” and “group management” programs that help organize groups of large amounts of people. These skills will become crucial during the project itself

Achievement Highlights:

• Was able to meet the other BI PM Lead, Disha, who was also a high schooler in the same grade as I am
  • Remet some of my old lead, like Sarah, and it was awesome seeing her as a pathway mentor this year!
  • Refreshed my memory on R in case I need to provide technical assistance
  • Learned a lot of logistical programs that I predict I will use a lot later on
  • Figured out problems with my email account

Difficulties Completing Tasks:

• R was a bit hard to relearn. I knew that I needed to reach a point where I was better than when I left off last summer because I remembered being very unsatisfied with my final project last year.
  • Communicating with people significantly older than me was a bit daunting at first, but I became more comfortable the more I interacted with them. Everyone is extremely friendly and well-adjusted!
  • Some of the logistical programs took a while to learn because of how different they were to what I was accustomed to
  • I had some sudden things happen this week, so I wasn’t able to make some meets
  • Balancing this with other things I have plus college applications really meant I needed to balance my time well
1 Like

Week 2, BI PM Lead Overview:

Technical Area:

• Learning RShiny and R Markdown - similar to the UX design of other codes
  • Learning how to great an R Markdown website on GitHub
  • Learning slack and how to use it more efficiently
  • Practicing scheduling meetings on Google calendar

Tools

• STEM-Away
  • RStudio
  • R
  • R Shiny
  • R Markdown
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Meets
  • When2Meet
  • GitHub
  • DropBox
  • Google Drive
  • Airtable

Soft Skills:

• Time management: I had another major time commitment start to balancing work on here and on the other program was difficult
  • Tenacity: Learning a whole new area of R was difficult and required a lot of persistence to keep moving forward
  • Communication: I wasn’t able to make many meetings this week due to schedule conflicts so I had to be communicative about that

Achievement Highlights:

• Learned RShiny and R Markbook to a good extent
  • Got better at managing Slack and google calendar
  • Got to know the other Bioinformatics groups, everyone seems really cool!
  • Wiped off rust on R

Difficulties Completing Tasks:

• R was a bit hard to relearn. I knew that I needed to reach a point where I was better than when I left off last summer because I remembered being very unsatisfied with my final project last year.
  • Communicating with people significantly older than me was a bit daunting at first, but I became more comfortable the more I interacted with them. Everyone is extremely friendly and well-adjusted!
  • Some of the logistical programs took a while to learn because of how different they were to what I was accustomed to
  • Learning RShiny and R Markdown was a similar challenge
  • Balancing this with other things I have plus college applications really meant I needed to balance my time well
  • OVERALL: Challenges similar to last week. I will keep working on these to improve as an intern and a lead! [/quote]