04sravya - Full Stack (Level 2) Pathway

MODULE 1

1. Overview of what I learned

• Technical Skills
    • I reviewed HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, as well as Ruby.
    • I ran Discourse on my local host using my terminal and practiced updating its themes.
  • Tools
    • Github: helps facilitate team coordination by making code easier to modify and share
    • Terminal: command line for MacOS users that provides text-based access to the operating system
    • Discourse: an online, open-source and forum-based software
    • Slack/Discord for team communication
    • Airtable for communicating what tasks need to be completed for each module
  • Soft Skills
    • I learned the importance of creating reference sheets and notes so that I could easily access information whenever I needed it.
    • I learned the importance of communicating with teammates, as they were able to help me with many of the questions I had.
    • I realized how important debugging is while testing my code for Ruby, because I had a lot of bugs while I was learning the language.

2. Three achievement highlights

• I got more practice with using my terminal to access different parts of my operating system and to open Discourse.
  • I practiced using Ruby and learned a lot about the syntax.
  • I was able to open Discourse and practice updating themes to it.

3. Goals for next week

• Refresh my memory on how to run Discourse on my local host and create/update themes
  • Learn about Ember JS and SCSS

4. Tasks completed

• I brushed up on my knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I took down detailed notes for quick and easy reference in the future.
  • I reviewed some command line basics to get a better understanding of how to use terminal on my computer, while also taking notes as a glossary of the different commands.
  • I reviewed my Ruby notes and added to them by following along with the provided video.
1 Like

MODULE 2

• Technical Skills
    • I reviewed HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, as well as Ruby.
    • I ran Discourse on my local host using my terminal and practiced updating its themes.
  • Tools
    • Github: helps facilitate team coordination by making code easier to modify and share
    • Terminal: command line for MacOS users that provides text-based access to the operating system
    • Discourse: an online, open-source and forum-based software
  • Soft Skills
    • I learned the importance of creating reference sheets and notes so that I could easily access information whenever I needed it.
    • I learned the importance of communicating with teammates, as they were able to help me with many of the questions I had.
    • I realized how important debugging is while testing my code for Ruby, because I had a lot of bugs while I was learning the language.

• I got more practice with using my terminal to access different parts of my operating system and to open Discourse.
  • I practiced using Ruby and learned a lot about the syntax.
  • I was able to open Discourse and practice updating themes to it.

3. Goals for next week

• Refresh my memory on how to run Discourse on my local host and create/update themes
  • Learn about Ember JS and SCSS

4. Tasks completed

• I brushed up on my knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I took down detailed notes for quick and easy reference in the future.
  • I reviewed some command line basics to get a better understanding of how to use terminal on my computer, while also taking notes as a glossary of the different commands.
  • I reviewed my Ruby notes and added to them by following along with the provided video.

MODULE 3

• Technical Skills

• I learned about the different types of files from the repo, like yml, json, and scss, and their functions.
    • I learned how to manage a Git branch, including creating, updating, and publishing changes to GitHub.
    • I learned how to view my theme in my local machine, as well as on the theme editor on Discourse.
  • Tools

• GitHub: I used the template files in the given repo in order to experiment with different themes.
    • Discourse: I used the theme creator to view my changes, and I viewed what themes/plugins other developers have made.
    • Atom: I used this editor to edit the template files and change banner titles, colors, and others.
  • Soft Skills

• I learned how to handle and resolve a problem with my Discourse server when it ran into an unexpected error.
    • I got more practice reviewing what I’ve accomplished by writing self assessments.

• I learned more about DOM and how to use it to develop themes.
  • I was able to use what I’ve learned about CSS and Javascript to create a theme.
  • I read up about style guides and pushed my theme to a public repo.

3. Goals for next week

• Learn how to use Handlebars to add on to themes
  • Add a setting to my Discourse theme
  • Learn how widgets work in a theme

4. Tasks completed

• I learned how to use DOM to modify styles in a Discourse theme.
  • I created a simple theme using within the Admin UI, adding a CSS element.
  • I created a remote theme using the Discord Theme CLI.

MODULE 4

• Technical Skills
    • I was able to learn more about how to make a discourse theme.
    • I learned more about plugins and how to create them.
  • Tools
    • Discourse: an online, open-source and forum-based software. I used the theme creator to view my changes, and I used it’s s
  • Soft Skills
    • I learned the importance of creating ‘cheat sheets’ for easier future reference. I created a sheet with different terminal commands, Git commands, and one for JavaScript syntax.
    • I exercised my problem solving abilities by fixing my code based on the errors I got, and I’m becoming comfortable with debugging in JavaScript.
    • I continued to improve on my ability to learn from sources of information like videos and websites (Discourse, Stack Overflow), and whenever I was stuck, I would look for the answer online.

• Improved communication with my team to learn more about plugins, since it was an entirely new concept for me.
  • I learned how to use the virtual DOM.
  • I was able to use the knowledge I’ve accumulated to add custom code to my theme.

3. Goals for next week

• Begin work towards the final project with the team
  • Create a custom route for an admin interface and add some custom settings

4. Tasks completed

• I updated my theme so that it uses the plugin API, and added in custom code using Handlebars.
  • I read about the virtual DOM in the provided readings.
  • I added settings and further modified my theme.

MODULE 5

• Technical skills
    • I learned how to create the basic files for a plugin.
    • I learned how to use the rails generators for creating plugins
  • Tools
    • Discourse: an online, open-source and forum-based software. I edited themes using the option to add code to the code
  • Soft Skills
    • I ran into a couple of errors, so I worked on my debugging skills.
    • I learned not to give up throughout the process, and keep an open mind to solving problems.

• I was able to create a basic plugin using the rails generators, using the HTML and Handlebars provided.
  • I then attempted to add my own features to the plugin, like an alert that pops up when a button is pressed.
  • I troubleshooted an error happening in my local server when I couldn’t view the changes I made to the CSS files within my theme.

3. Goals for next week

• Learn how to add settings to my plugin
  • Set up git and an admin interface
  • Learn how to publish my plugin

MODULE 6

• Technical skills

• I learned more about how to create plugin files and what they’re used for.
    • I learned how to add settings to plugins.
  • Tools

• Discourse: an online, open-source and forum-based software. I used its theme editor to view my changes to my theme and plugin.
    • Github to edit the files of my plugin and share my code with others
  • Soft Skills

• I faced a lot of bugs with my Discourse server because it wouldn’t display my settings, and I had to work through those bugs using my reasoning skills.
    • I worked with my team to decide on a path for our project.

2. Tasks completed

• I finished setting up the files for a makeshift plugin, and added custom settings.
  • I learned how to create a public Git repo, with a local working folder
  • I set up admin interfaces.
  • I then attempted to add my own features to the plugin, like an alert that pops up when a button is pressed.
  • I troubleshooted an error happening in my local server when I couldn’t view the changes I made to the CSS files within my theme.

3. Goals for next week

• Make progress on the final project, and review front-end basics