Kamyak17 - Vaping Detection & Mitigation Pathway

Week: 1, 2, 3 (7/13-7/17;7/20-7/24; 7/27-7/31)

Technical Area:

• Learned about FPGAs, boolean logic gates, and truth tables through the Intel Intro to FPGAs course,Intro to FPGA webinar hosted by Dr. Aravind Dasu, and meetings with the Intel experts
  • Learned how to construct a survey to receive data on a certain topic
  • Researched details on existing vaping detector, how they work, and potential flaws
  • Downloaded the Ubuntu Virtual machine to be able to download and understand the Quartus software and launch the virtual logic board

Tools:

• GSuite: Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Meets, Google Groups, Google Slides, Google Docs, Google Sheets
  • Trello
  • STEM-Away Platform
  • Quartus

Leadership/Soft Skills:

• Improved my communication skills by staying in constant communication with my co-lead and the rest of my team in a remote environment
  • Sent out a survey to my team to better understand what I need to improve on and what I was doing well
  • Checked the forum, Slack, Trello, and email to answer my team member’s questions
  • Attended Pathway Leads meetings in order to communicate with other pathway leads to better understand how I can improve my team’s journey to success
  • Hosted extra office hours in order to ensure that new team members were caught up
  • Assigned tasks to my team members and checked in throughout to ensure that they were doing their tasks

Three Achievement Highlights:

• Had a meeting with Debaleena to discuss problems our team was having and how to overcome them
  • Attended trainings to Intel experts and fully understood how to launch Quartus and complete the logic solver challenge
  • Learned how to use Trello and demonstrated to the entire pathway how it can be implemented

Meetings organized/attended

• Team Meetings: 7/14, 7/20, 7/27, 8/3
  • FPGA Trainings: 7/16, 7/30
  • Happy Hours: 7/24
  • Office Hours: 7/22, 7/29, 7/31, 8/1, 8/2
  • Co-Team Meeting: 8/1
  • Meeting with Intel Experts: 7/20, 7/29, 8/4

Goals for the Upcoming Week:

• Continue to work on the challenges given by the Intel experts to better understand them and teach them to my team
  • Keep being active on all platforms to ensure that I answer the questions of all the participants and observers
  • Update my Linked-In and grow my connections

Week: 4

Technical Area:

• Learned and researched about existing vaping detectors and how they work
  • Worked more on troubleshooting problems with launching Quartus
  • Started going through a Quartus lab given by Intel experts
  • Learned how a block diagram works and researched block diagrams for existing vaping detectors
  • Started listing suggestions to mitigate vaping

Tools:

• GSuite: Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Meets, Google Groups, Google Slides, Google Docs, Google Sheets
  • Trello
  • STEM-Away Platform
  • Quartus

Leadership/Soft Skills

• Sent out an anonymous survey to see what me and my co-lead could improve on and asked our team what direction they want the internship to go in
  • Communicated with my team and created the meeting times that worked best for everyone
  • Continued to make sure those who did not make it to the meetings had access to the recording and I was accessible to answer questions that my teammates have
  • Checked my email and the forum daily to make sure I could answer any questions
  • Helped my co-lead with creating the deliverables for the week
  • Continuously sent friendly reminders throughout the week to remind my team members of upcoming due dates

• Learned more about the Quartus software and troubleshooting when it wasn’t working
  • Caught all the new members up to speed with Quartus and FPGAs
  • Learned more about Vaping Detectors and started coming up with a list of suggestions to mitigate

Meetings organized/attended

• Office Hours: 8/5
  • FPGA Trainings: 8/6
  • Week 4 Presentations Meeting: 8/7
  • Team Meetings: 8/10
  • Meeting with Intel Experts: 8/11

Goals for Upcoming Week:

• Keep staying active on all platforms so I can be there for the participants and observers
  • Update my Linked-In and work on my soft skills
  • Continue working on Quartus labs and sharpen my skills with quartus

Week 5:

Technical Area

• Continued troubleshooting with the Quartus software so I could work on the lab given by intel experts
  • Learned more Verilog commands and how to use them to interact with the Quartus software
  • Learned about the hardware of a Vaping detector works by meeting the VP of Halo
  • Continued researching block diagrams so I would be able to design my own block diagram

Tools:

• Trello
  • STEM-Away Platform
  • Quartus

Leadership/Soft Skills

• Created the meeting invites and events for the whole Vaping Pathway
  • Explained to the Vaping team leads updates given by the pathway leads such as the milestone post
  • Checked all the platforms to answer any of the questions asked by the participants and the observers
  • Continuously sent friendly reminders throughout the week to remind my team members of upcoming due dates and to update their work status in Trello

• Met with the VP of operations of Halo and learned about their process of using the Vaping detector to mitigate vaping
  • Researched more on block diagrams in order to be able to achieve the end goal of making a design of our own vaping detector
  • Created our idea of what our final presentation is going to look like

List of Meetings/Trainings Attended:

• Team Meetings: 8/10
  • Office Hours: 8/12
  • FPGA Training:8/12
  • Meeting w/Halo VP: 8/14
  • Happy Hours: 8/14

Goals for the Upcoming Week:

• Continue to work with the teams on our final presentation
  • Be active on all platforms
  • Finish the Quartus Lab