Etulsian - Vaping Detection & Mitigation Pathway

Week: 1, 2, and 3

Overview of Things Learned:

Technical Area:

• Downloaded and understood how Quartus works and how to use the virtual board.
  • Learned about FPGAs, truth tables, and logic gates. I went over the Intel Intro to FPGAs lecture and lab.
  • Learned how to formulate good survey questions.
  • Learned details about existing vaping detectors in the current market and how they work.

Tools:

• GSuite: GMail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Meet, Google Groups, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar
  • Trello
  • Slack
  • Stem-Away Platform
  • Quartus

Leadership/Soft Skills:

• Understood LinkedIn and gave my team a presentation about LinkedIn and how to develop an effective profile.
  • As more participants were added to the team, I had to be adaptive and organized, so that the new participants could catch up and know their responsibilities. So, I held extra office hours and had a separate intro meeting with new participants to get them up to speed.
  • Communicated with my team through an anonymous survey to see what I could improve on. Also I communicate regularly to inform members about the week’s schedule, their responsibilities for the week, and any important updates.
  • Check different communication methods daily to be available to answer any questions.
  • Delegated the participants to organize the events for the happy hours.

Three Achievement Highlights

• Created an open environment for team

• Organized educational trainings to better understand the technical side of the internship after conversing with Intel Experts.

• I was proactive and talked to Debaleena about some problems the team was having. Our solution was to increase participants. After getting more new participants, I was able to quickly organize everything and get them up to speed with the internship.

Meetings organized/attended

• Team Meetings: 7/14, 7/20, 7/27
  • FPGA Trainings: 7/16, 7/23, 7/30
  • Happy Hours: 7/17, 7/24, 7/31
  • Office Hours: 7/22, 7/29, 7/31, 8/1, 8/2
  • Co-Team Meeting: 8/1
  • Meeting with Intel Experts: 7/20, 7/29

Goals for the Upcoming Week

• Keep encouraging participants and observers to continue to be active and feel comfortable to ask questions
  • Continue growing my network and maintaining my connections

#teamwork #vaping-device #problem-solving #team-building

Week: 4

Technical Area:

• Worked on revised lab from Intel Experts
  • Did research on block diagrams of Halo, Flysense, and smoke detectors
  • Continued learning details about existing vaping detectors in the current market and how they work.
  • Listed suggestions of reducing vape and assessed their feasibility

Tools:

• GSuite: GMail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Meet, Google Groups, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, and Google Forms
  • Trello
  • Slack
  • Stem-Away Platform
  • Quartus
  • Github

Leadership/Soft Skills:

• Gave my team a soft skills presentation on creativity (fluency and flexibility) by doing the 30 circles activity.
  • Communicated with my team through an anonymous survey to see what I could improve on and how they would like the internship to go.
  • Communicate regularly to inform members about the week’s schedule, their responsibilities for the week, and any important updates.
  • Check different communication methods daily to be available to answer any questions.
  • Delegated the participants to organize the events for the happy hours and deliver weekly presentations.

Three Achievement Highlights

• Caught all new members up to speed
  • Learning about the technical aspect from Intel Experts and then organizing educational trainings for participants
  • Presenting on soft skills that my team is interested in learning

Meetings organized/attended

• Team Meetings: 8/3
  • Meeting with Intel Experts: 8/4
  • Office Hours: 8/5
  • FPGA Trainings: 8/6
  • Happy Hours: 8/7
  • Week 4 Presentations Meeting: 8/7
  • Co-Team Meeting: 8/8

Goals for the Upcoming Week

• Keep encouraging participants and observers to continue to be active and feel comfortable to ask questions
  • Get most if not all participants to have Quartus working correctly

#teamwork #vaping-device #problem-solving #team-building #collaboration #soft-skills #fpga #quartus

1 Like

Week: 5

Technical Area:

• Worked on revised lab and calculator project from Intel Experts
  • Improved my Verilog coding skills
  • Learned about the hardware and technological aspect of the Halo IOT Vaping detector from the VP of Operations and R&D at Halo
  • Continued researching block diagrams to design my own block diagram

Tools:

• GSuite: GMail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Meet, Google Groups, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, and Google Forms
  • Trello
  • Slack
  • Stem-Away Platform
  • Quartus
  • Github

Leadership/Soft Skills:

• Researched and delivered a soft skills presentation to my team about resume building
  • Checked all the platforms to answer any of the questions asked by the participants and the observers
  • Continuously sent friendly reminders throughout the week to remind my team members of upcoming due dates and to update their work status in StemAway and slack

Three Achievement Highlights:

• Met with the VP of operations of Halo and learned about their process of using the Vaping detector to mitigate vaping
  • Researched more on block diagrams in order to create our own design of our vaping detector
  • Delegated tasks to the team that goes well with what our final presentation is going to look like

List of Meetings/Trainings Attended:

• Team Meetings: 8/10
  • Meeting with Intel Experts: 8/11
  • Office Hours: 8/12
  • FPGA Training:8/12
  • Meeting with Halo VP: 8/14
  • Happy Hours: 8/14
  • Co-Team Meeting: 8/15

Goals for the Upcoming Week:

• Work on reports and aim to be published
  • Improve my Verilog and Quartus skills