Idiosyncratic_coder - Full Stack Pathway

Name: Amber Wang
Team: FS Team-1

Overview of Things Learned:

Technical Area: Over the past couple of weeks, I familiarized myself with the Discourse platform and the numerous plugins that are available for both use and development. In addition, I watched the Git webinar and practiced using git through terminal commands. I also learned about the syntax of the Ruby language and how to use the project management tool Asana.

Tools Used: Ruby, Discourse, Git, Asana

Soft Skills: Since this internship is a purely virtual one, communication is extremely important. I learned to reach out for help and ask questions when I need it in order to complete my tasks efficiently.

Achievement Highlights:

1. Downloaded and researched Discourse plugins
  2. Learned how to code the Ruby language
  3. Started to read about Discourse theme development

Goals for the Upcoming Week

1. Fully familiarize myself with the ins and outs of Discourse theme development
  2. Begin Discourse theme development
  3. Learn the languages and tools needed in order to complete my tasks

Tasks Done:

1. Wrote Ruby code for methods, if statements, return statements, etc.
  2. Added Ruby code to the drive and used git to push it up to the Github repository
  3. Rewatched the Git webinar
  4. Read about Discourse plugin development
  5. Read about Discourse theme development

Technical Area: In the time between my first self assessment and now, I have familiarized myself with theme development, theme installation, and Discourse in general. I watched videos on how to work with the project management tool Trello after switching to it from Asana. In addition, I have continued to practice with pulling and pushing from Github using git commands.

Tools Used: Ruby, Discourse, Git, Asana, Trello, Google Drive, Github, Slack

Soft Skills: Given the diversity of the team, we had to learn to navigate around varying time zones. I also learned how to keep track of my progress and observe areas of improvement & areas where I need to work on.

Achievement Highlights:

1. Created a small remote theme that was pushed to Github
  2. Continued to read about Discourse theme development
  3. Learned how to install Discourse themes

1. Brainstorm the theme components that we are going to work on
  2. Communicate with my specific group about how we plan to delegate the work
  3. Start the development of our theme

Tasks Done:

1. Wrote a remote theme
  2. Push & pull projects from Github
  3. Installed Fakebook theme
  4. Decided on what theme we wanted to work on

Technical Area: In the time between the second self assessment and now, I have become more proficient in Javascript and the Document Object Model, as I used these to create the banner’s functionalities. I have continued to familiarize myself with git and Github as well as Discourse.

Tools Used: Ruby, Discourse, Git, Asana, Trello, Google Drive, Github, Slack, Atom

Soft Skills: This is the week where we split our team into even smaller groups, and it feels like I have gained a deeper understanding of how teamwork for development teams work. Similar to before, I continue to learn about navigating different time zones with a diverse group of teammates, and by watching the leads, I better understand how work delegation is done.

Achievement Highlights:

1. Continued to familiarize myself with git and Github
  2. Continued to learn how Trello operates
  3. Created a banner for my team’s theme.
  4. Completed the card that was assigned to me.

1. Put group 2’s work together and deal with any overlaps
  2. Put the whole team’s work together and deal with any overlaps
  3. Begin to prepare for presentation

Tasks Done:

1. Created a banner for the theme, where clicking the button changes the content in the banner. I used DOM to achieve this effect.
  2. Completed the card that was assigned to me (Becoming Student Leaders). I used code to flip it when the card is clicked.
  3. Pulled and pushed code from Github
1 Like