Tahsin_Rakib_Himi - Bioinformatics Pathway

Overview of Things Learned

Technical Area: As a recent graduate, I was struggling with R a lot as during my Undergrad the main programing language was MATLAB. It was interesting to learn more about GGPLOT as I was struggling to work with it in the past so being to learn from the training has helped me thoroughly.

Tools: The technical webinars and also the training for python and R has been extremely helpful. Especially the fact that we can go back to the drive and be able to revise the training as well.

Soft Skills: I have become more comfortable to voicing my opinions and questions to the project leads.

Three Achievement Highlights

1. Learned how to read a scientific paper in an unbiased way.
  2. Got better at using the various packages in R
  3. Got to know more people by connecting on LinkedIn

List of Meetings/ Training Attended Including Social Team Events

I have been trying my best to attend the meeting in person but if I am not able to I end up watching the recordings, as I was initially sick due to COVID. I am enjoying getting to know the team members and other people in the program.

Goals For The Upcoming Week

The goal for this week is to get to know my Team Magic better and work together on the deliverables and also try my hand at some of the newly acquired skills in R.

1 Like

Technical Area:

I learned how to perform various analysis using R. Learned how to perform quality control with Mas5 and also learned how to visualize and remove outliers on Week 3. For week 4, I learned how to perform Limma but the most important part of this past week was learning how to annotate genes and also how to import metadata.

Tools:
I used the R training with Yves as a tool to help me learn how to perform some of the above mentioned technical skills.

Soft Skills:
I picked up networking skills with the help of our amazing Project Management lead Isha and it helped me land a full time opportunity!

Three Achievement Highlights:

1. Learned how to perform Quality control and learning how to perform analysis using Limma
  2. got to know my teammates and work on improving my teamwork skills
  3. Learning how to navigate both GitHub and asana

List of meetings / Training:

I attended most of my team meetings and training. The one’s I missed I requested updates from my teammates.

Goals for the upcoming week:

1. Learn how to do phenotypic analysis
  2. Learn about and explore various gene ontology analysis
  3. Work on week 5 deliverables sooner rather than later so I can try my best to utilize alize the office hours!
1 Like

Technical Area:
For week 5 we learned to perform Gene Ontology analysis and make use of external tools. My team performed gene set enrichment using EnrichR and it was interesting learning about the various details of the gene set we are working with.

Tools:
I used the R extensively this past week and it was amazing to learn about different plots for visualization within R.

Soft Skills:
I became more comfortable with communicating with various team members in order to prepare for the presentations for the week!

1. Learned how to create dotplots and plot GO Graphs
  2. Made use of the STEM Away platform extensively as oppose to previous weeks.
  3. Created a better working relationships with my teammates!

I attended most of my team meetings and training.

Goals for the upcoming week:

1. Work on making the presentation more informative
  2. Get a better understanding of the EnrichR data
  3. Make most of the next two weeks!
1 Like

Technical Area:
Throughout this internship I have learned how to navigate R for gene analysis and learned how to navigate the GEO website to download data for gene analysis.

Tools:
I used the R extensively along with learning more about Python through the Python training.

Soft Skills:
I worked on my communication skills and also leadership skills. Furthermore, I became better at asking for help when I needed it.

1. Got better at visualization through the use of R.
  2. Got used to navigating the GitHub and Asana.
  3. Connected with people from all over the world and expanded my network

I attempted to attend most meeting and those I missed, I caught up with those afterwards.

1 Like