S_Herron - Bioinformatics Pathway

• Concise overview of things learned
    Technical Area: Through training sessions, I have learned how to create boxplots, heatmaps, and volcano plots among other things. I have also learned how to download the necessary packages to obtain some of the functions needed to create the previously mentioned plots as well as troubleshoot. In python training sessions, I learned more about object-oriented programming and was refreshed on some other skills I had learned previously.
    Tools: I have been refreshed on basic Python skills from previous experience. I have learned how to implement R for data visualization purposes.
    Soft Skills: This week I have been able to further develop my communication skills through team meetings and online platforms.
  • Three achievement highlights
    I now have a much better understanding of R compared to when I started. Except happy hour, I have been able attend or later watch all team meeting/webinars. I have also gotten to know some of my team members through meetings and expanded my LinkedIn network.
  • List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
    I have attended all the Bioinformatics meetings including office hours, all R trainings, one python training and looked over the information covered in the other at a later time, all technical trainings, the logistical webinar, the Welcome Session on Leadership and Program Management, and the Welcome Session by Debaleena.
  • Goals for the upcoming week
    In the next week, I hope to improve my R and Python skills through doing exercises and other assignments. I plan to try to complete all assignments before the actual due dates in the event I need help so I can get assistance at office hours.
1 Like

6/23 Self-Assessment
• Overview of things learned
Technical Area: I learned more about how to conduct quality control, normalization, and principal component analysis using R programming specifically through the simple affy and gcrma packages. I learned more about object oriented programming and inheritance through python training sessions.
Tools: R studio for R programming; Jupyter Notebook for Python
Soft Skills: I have been able to continue improving my teamwork, problem-solving, communication skills through meeting and communicating regularly with my deliverables team and helping one another on any coding issues.
I have been able to complete all exercises/tasks that have been assigned so far on time. I have also been able to get to know more people through team meetings. I was able to successfully create my Asana and slack accounts.
• List of meetings/trainings attended
I attended both Bioinformagic team meetings last week as well as the one yesterday. I attended all meetings my deliveries team had. I also attended the Asana training, technical training, and python and pandas webinar last week.
I plan to start the week 4 deliverables today so I have an understanding of the expectations and can ask questions on anything I am unclear on tomorrow at office hours. I also plan to meet with the other teams my team was partnered with soon to work on our week 3 deliverable Friday presentation.
• Detailed statement of tasks done
Last week I completed the assigned R exercises as well as the practice python exercises. I was able to complete all steps for the week 3 deliverables. My team also worked together to answer the questions for the deliverables.

1 Like

6/29 Self-Assessment
Technical Area: I learned how to use the limma package in R to analyze data and how to use functions such as quantile for gene filtering purposes. I was able to continue building my skills at creating volcano plots as well.
Tools: Rstudio for R programming; Python using Jupyter Notebook
Soft Skills: I have been able to continue building my communication and teamwork skills through working with my deliverables team to complete tasks.
I have continued attempting to network through LinkedIn and have made a few new connections. Created my GitHub account. I also completed and submitted the tasks for the week on time.
• List of meetings/training attended
I attended both bioinformagic meetings last week as well as the one today. I attended all meetings my deliverables group had within the last week. I also attended the Github Webinar, Fireside chat, Webinar with Ali, and the R training last week. I went to both office hours last week. I also went to the python training session today and one last week.
I plan to finish the 2nd python problem set as well as the phenotypic analysis by Wednesday. I also plan to meet with my deliverables group and the other group we are partnered with to work on our presentation. I plan to get started on the week 5 deliveries earlier in the week.
I completed all the steps/tasks for the week 4 deliverables including the annotation of the data set, gene filtering, analyzation with limma, creation of the model matrix, and creation of the volcano plot. I also created the necessary tables and csv files for the deliverables.

1 Like

Comprehensive Self-Assessment
Technical Area: I learned how to use a multitude of packages and functions in R for data filtering, normalization and visualization purposes. Through analyzing my errors, I have also been able to improve on my troubleshooting abilities. I also gained knowledge regarding data visualization techniques using Python by using Pandas, Seaborn, NumPy, and Matplotlib.
Tools: Rstudio for R programming; Python using Jupyter Notebook; Asana for task management; GitHub for a convenient collaboration platform on coding assignments
Soft Skills: This internship has allowed me to improve on my problem-solving skills through weekly tasks/assignments. I have also been able to build my communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills through working with my team to complete tasks and reaching out to others outside my team when we encountered an issue another team had already experienced and solved.
I have gotten to know a lot of new people and have added a significant amount of connections on LinkedIn since the beginning of this program. I now have a good grasp of R when I had never used R prior to 5 weeks ago. I also completed and submitted all tasks assigned on time.
• List of meetings/training attended
Throughout my time in this internship, I have attended almost all meetings held. This includes welcome sessions/webinars, bioinformagic team meetings, fireside chats, and deliverable team meetings. This also includes R, Python, Asana, and GitHub training sessions/webinars and office hours.
I completed all the steps/tasks for the week 3 deliverables including quality control, background correction and normalization, and visualization. I completed all the steps/tasks for the week 4 deliverables including the annotation of the data set, gene filtering, analyzation with limma, creation of the model matrix, and creation of the volcano plot. I also completed the phenotypic analysis for week 5. I completed all R and Python exercises as well.

1 Like