Zayyad_Siddiqui - Bioinformatics Pathway

• Concise overview of things learned
    Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to conduct basic differential gene expression analysis through R. I have learned functions to normalize data, do principle component analysis, and form volcano plots to show fold changes in genes across various patient conditions.
    Tools: I have learned basic python programming skills. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as numpy and pandas. In R, I have become more accustomed to the ggplot2 package and its uses in data visualization.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. I appreciate the level of communication provided by the team-leads to help me develop my skills in time-management and project-management.

• Three achievement highlights
    During team-building exercises, I have more become open with my peers and can convey my appreciation of bioinformatics with like-minded individuals. In terms of programming, I have kept up-to-date with the packages and functions available to me when conducting data analysis. Overall, I am starting to understand the connection between programming and biology within bioinformatics.

• List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
    I have been to all the meetings including the technical training webinars (1,2,3), watched all the R-training videos, and attended some Python training videos and watched the rest of them through the recorded lectures. I was not able to make it to the happy hour social event, but look forward to it in the future!

• Goals for the upcoming week.
    My goals include to get comfortable with the first part of the project which is data quality control. I aim to understand the programming and conceptual importance of each step in this pipeline-planned project. Another goal is to develop my proficiency in programming in R where using the functions become second-nature. My last goal is to get to know my team members more.

1 Like
    Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to conduct basic differential gene expression analysis through R. I have learned functions to create volcano plots and to use a gene annotation library to determine locations of genes within tissue samples. I have become more comfortable with the Limma package and have learned how to create a design matrix which is used in part of the linear fit modelling. This fit is then used to find the top # of genes using the topTable() function.
    Tools: I have learned basic R programming skills. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as ggplot2 and Limma In R. I have become more accustomed to the ggplot2 package and its uses in data visualization. I have learned how to use Asana and GitHub and am starting to appreciate its uses in the work-field.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. I appreciate the level of communication provided by the team-leads to help me develop my skills in time-management and project-management. I have reached out to leads when I have difficulty in assignments and we have developed a friendly relationship through this.
    During team-building exercises, I have more become open with my peers and can convey my appreciation of bioinformatics with like-minded individuals. In terms of programming, I have kept up-to-date with the deliverables to ensure proper understanding of the skills being taught. Overall, I am starting to understand the connection between programming and biology within bioinformatics.
    I have been to all the meetings including the technical training webinars, watched all the R-training videos, and attended some Python training videos and watched the rest of them through the recorded lectures. I was not able to make it to the happy hour social event, but look forward to it in the future!
    My goals include to get comfortable with the week 5 deliverables of the project which is utilizing the pathway information like KEGG. I aim to understand the programming and conceptual importance of each step in this pipeline-planned project. Another goal is to develop my proficiency in programming in R where using the functions become second-nature. My last goal is to get to know my team members more and utilize technological resources in a more efficient manner.
1 Like
    Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to conduct gene ontology analysis. I learned how pathway and network tools, like GO and KEGG analysis, can be used to show which classes of genes are over-represented in cancer vs control states. I have become more comfortable in knowing how to use external tools like Metascape to generate barplots, dotplots and network maps of genes. Overall, I have become more acclimated in comparing results from multiple data analysis packages.
    Tools: I have performed gene ontology and gene set enrichment analysis through the clusterProfiler package. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as ggplot2 and Bioconductor In R. I have learned how to use Asana and GitHub and am starting to appreciate its uses in the work-field.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to present deliverables with a team in a more effective manner. I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. I appreciate the level of communication provided by the team-leads to help me develop my skills in time-management and project-management. I have reached out to leads when I have difficulty in assignments and we have developed a friendly relationship through this.
    During team-building exercises, I have more become open with my peers and can convey my appreciation of bioinformatics with like-minded individuals. In terms of programming, I have kept up-to-date with the deliverables to ensure proper understanding of the skills being taught. Overall, I am starting to understand the connection between programming and biology within bioinformatics.
    I have been to all the meetings including the technical training webinars, watched all the R-training videos, and attended some Python training videos and watched the rest of them through the recorded lectures. I was not able to make it to the happy hour social event, but look forward to it in the future!
    My goals include to prepare the presentation of the week 5’s deliverables. I also want to gain a deeper understanding of the pathway and gene ontology analysis from a biological standpoint. I aim to understand the programming and conceptual importance of each step in this pipeline-planned project. Another goal is to develop my proficiency in programming in R where using the functions become second-nature. My last goal is to become more proactive and utilize technological resources in a more efficient manner.
1 Like
    Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to conduct gene ontology analysis. I learned how pathway and network tools, like GO and KEGG analysis, can be used to show which classes of genes are over-represented in cancer vs control states. I have become more comfortable in knowing how to use external tools like Metascape to generate barplots, dotplots and network maps of genes. Overall, I have become more acclimated in comparing results from multiple data analysis packages. I have learned how to use KEGG analysis and WikiPathway analysis tools.
    Tools: I have performed gene ontology and gene set enrichment analysis through the clusterProfiler package. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as ggplot2 and Bioconductor In R. I have learned how to use Asana and GitHub and am starting to appreciate its uses in the work-field.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to present deliverables with a team in a more effective manner. I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. I appreciate the level of communication provided by the team-leads to help me develop my skills in time-management and project-management. I have reached out to leads when I have difficulty in assignments and we have developed a friendly relationship through this. I have also tried different resources to accommodate the needs of various teammates.
    My goals include to start the final project deliverables for week 7/8. I also want to gain a deeper understanding of the pathway and gene ontology analysis from a biological standpoint. I aim to understand the programming and conceptual importance of each step in this pipeline-planned project. Another goal is to develop my proficiency in programming in R where using the functions become second-nature. Another goal is to understand the pipeline and be able to reproduce and use it in a different scenario. My last goal is to become more proactive and utilize technological resources in a more efficient manner.
1 Like
    Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to conduct gene ontology analysis. I learned how pathway and network tools, like GO and KEGG analysis, can be used to show which classes of genes are over-represented in cancer vs control states. I have become more comfortable in knowing how to use external tools like Metascape and String to generate barplots, dotplots and network maps of genes. Overall, I have become more acclimated in comparing results from multiple data analysis packages.
    Tools: I have performed gene ontology and gene set enrichment analysis through the clusterProfiler package. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as ggplot2 and Bioconductor In R. I have learned how to use Asana and GitHub and am starting to appreciate its uses in the work-field. I have become more comfortable with external data tools.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to formulate a presentation by myself in a more effective manner. I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. I appreciate the level of communication provided by the team-leads to help me develop my skills in time-management and project-management. I have reached out to leads when I have difficulty in assignments and we have developed a friendly relationship through this.
    My goals include to prepare the presentation of the week 8’s deliverables. I also want to gain a deeper understanding of the pathway and gene ontology analysis from a biological standpoint. I aim to understand the programming and conceptual importance of each step in this pipeline-planned project. Another goal is to develop my proficiency in programming in R where using the functions become second-nature. My last goal is to become more proactive and utilize technological resources in a more efficient manner.

Final Self Assessment

Technical Area: In the past few weeks, I learned how to create and optimize a bioinformatics project pipeline. I have learned how to conduct microarray data set quality control and normalization techniques. I have learned how to conduct gene annotation analysis and gene filtering. Then, I was able to understand the analysis of differentially expressed genes using the Limma package. With this, I was able to perform Gene Ontology, Wikipathway, KEGG pathway, and Protein-Protein Interaction analysis. Overall, I learned from a biological standpoint on how to detect prognostic markers for colorectal cancer and how to visualize which classes of genes are differentially expressed in cancer vs control states using ggplot2. I have become more comfortable in knowing how to use external tools like Metascape and String to generate barplots, dotplots and network maps of genes. Overall, I have become more acclimated in comparing results from multiple data analysis packages and analyzing/interpreting the results.
    Tools: I have performed data quality control, gene annotation, analysis of differentially expressed genes, gene ontology and gene set enrichment analysis, through the Bioconductor package. I have become more comfortable with external data tools such as STRING and Metascape. I have also become more comfortable with data visualization through packages such as ggplot2 in R. I have learned how to use Asana and GitHub and am starting to appreciate its uses in the work-fields.
    Soft Skills: I have learned how to formulate a presentation by myself in a more effective manner by brainstorming the general structure and the necessary details required. I learned the techniques to deliver a professional presentation to mentors and scientists currently in the field of bioinformatics. I have learned how to interact with team-members and leaders more productively and how to ask questions and convey interests in a friendly environment. The internship has helped me develop my skills in time-management and project-management. It has taught me how to reach out to local alumni and steps to take to build one’s professional network.
    During the final deliverables of the internship, I designed my own project pipeline utilizing a different dataset to study prognostic markers for colorectal cancer. I completed all weekly deliverables for the entire internship in a timely manner and presented results to peers. Through this internship, I have understood the Biocondutor package at a more complex level and have started to gain an appreciation of its uses within the bioinformatics industry. Overall, I am starting to understand the connection between programming, data science, math (statistics), and biology within bioinformatics.
    I have been to all the meetings including the technical training webinars, watched all the R-training videos, and attended some Python training videos and watched the rest of them through the recorded lectures.
    My goals include to utilize the technical skills learned to develop a new project pipeline that includes “survival analysis”. Another goal is to expand the data science techniques learned in R and apply them in a workplace setting. My other goal is to use the technical skills learned for non-microarray data. My overall goal is to gain a deeper understanding for the field of bioinformatics.
1 Like

Here is the attached presentation: Siddiqui. Week 8 Deliverables.pdf (1.6 MB)

Thank you @egunduz, @yvesgaetan, and @Isha for all your help and for providing an insightful experience!

1 Like

Great meeting you Zayyad, all the best!